Keys are MIA

imperigal

Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced the keys to the 73 T&C. Looked high and low, in all of the cars, the house, the garage, the yard, etc. I am certain that as soon as I replace them, I will find them. I'm hoping that posting here will somehow jinx that into happening sooner than later!

What are my options? Remove the ignition? Can a locksmith make them? (I know there's a thread that talks about talented, magical locksmiths that can do it without removing from the car...hopefully there's one around here).

I was hoping to work on the brake hissing issue, but need the car running so that I can see if a check valve is all I need. Now that the Suns finally out...keys are lost. FYI, I haven't used or seen them in several days. Was too busy to work on the wagon.

Did you try looking under the hood? Poking around in there I have often laid the keys on the air cleaner,battery, fender well etc

Dave

Remove lock cylinder from door or ign. A good lock smith can do it, probably an older guy. I had to do this for the '68 300 I bought back in '14, it had no keys.

The guy I used was on Harper, between 10 and 11. His shop is still there. Maybe "USA locksmith", or something like that. I know I was out under $100 and he did ign and trunk.

Did the dog bury them in th yard somewhere?

Did you check the laundry hamper? Things have been known to fall out of clothes that are tossed in there.

My last key issue was with my 65, only I knew exactly where they were - locked in the trunk with my toolbox alongside the highway in west Texas in August. I think I'd rather have your problem......... :wideyed::rolleyes:

I have two or three garage "work shirts" and usually I'll find the lost socket or keys in the shirt I'm positive I didn't wear. Another spot is tucked into one of the toolboxes or bench drawers. Then there is always the work bench where things hide under my last project. Keys, maybe in the crease at the back of the front seat(s). Crease being where the backrest meets the seat cushion. Or in an ash tray, or on top of a sun-visor, or if you're not lucky you put them on the dash and they fell into a defroster vent. When I pulled my dash and pulled out the defrost plumbing, I found, confetti, a crayon and two lost 1/4" drive sockets! LOL

A locksmith will charge about $75 for an on-site visit, another $20 to pick the ignition and pull it's cylinder and around $10 to cut a key for it. That will give you a key for everything except the glove box, trunk and console if you have one.

I have two or three garage "work shirts" and usually I'll find the lost socket or keys in the shirt I'm positive I didn't wear. Another spot is tucked into one of the toolboxes or bench drawers. Then there is always the work bench where things hide under my last project. Keys, maybe in the crease at the back of the front seat(s). Crease being where the backrest meets the seat cushion. Or in an ash tray, or on top of a sun-visor, or if you're not lucky you put them on the dash and they fell into a defroster vent. When I pulled my dash and pulled out the defrost plumbing, I found, confetti, a crayon and two lost 1/4" drive sockets! LOL

A locksmith will charge about $75 for an on-site visit, another $20 to pick the ignition and pull it's cylinder and around $10 to cut a key for it. That will give you a key for everything except the glove box, trunk and console if you have one.
I do have a favorite garage shirt...a charcoal gray hoodie I got from a small brewery in Traverse City, MI. The front of it has a giant train logo on it, the back says Ales by the Rails. I was SO HOPEFUL that I'd reach into the front pouch and find my elusive keys. Nope. Also checked shorts and capris. Nope.

BUT my other half managed to get the car started by taking the key out of the 47 Dodge and "bumping" it in the ignition. Use a similar key, inserted all the way then slightly backed out. Keep working in forward and backward in the ignition while bumping the top. Allows the little pins to fall into the slots in the new key. It solves our prob for now, as long as we don't take the key all of the way out! We'll just disconnect the battery while not in use.

On the downside, I was able to check the check valve and it's fine. Which means that I'll be installing a new brake booster. Yay! :) and master cylinder of course.

I'm misplacing my keys all the time...The 3 Imperials and the Chebbies with 2 sets each and plus daily drivers...I usually find them in a chair or couch cushion or they slip into the grass or pavement just outside one of the parked car doors. Think they just fall out of my shallow pockets...It's nerve racking...I always eventually find them though...

funny thing my next door neighbor lost his keys on a run and he left his phone in his house, i called the locksmith for him

It MIGHT be possible that if you get the ign lock cylinder removed, which will require steering wheel removal (and probably a few other things too!), then you can get the existing cylinder removed. A locksmith can dismantle the cylinder's guts and see what the cuts on the keys are, IF the key code is not stamped into the outer surface of the cylinder. AND the locksmith can decode that number!

On the other hand, some replacement cylinders with keys are somewhat inexpensive to purchase and install, as are the already-keyed door lock cylinders. IF they are available for your vehicle. Worst case scenario.

AFTER you get things squared away, get some additional "spare" keys cut and put them in a safe place. Put EACH set on it's on key ring that has some sort of "hand-held item" on it! Something easy to see! Marking each one for what it goes to.

CBODY67

It MIGHT be possible that if you get the ign lock cylinder removed, which will require steering wheel removal (and probably a few other things too!), then you can get the existing cylinder removed. A locksmith can dismantle the cylinder's guts and see what the cuts on the keys are, IF the key code is not stamped into the outer surface of the cylinder. AND the locksmith can decode that number!

On the other hand, some replacement cylinders with keys are somewhat inexpensive to purchase and install, as are the already-keyed door lock cylinders. IF they are available for your vehicle. Worst case scenario.

AFTER you get things squared away, get some additional "spare" keys cut and put them in a safe place. Put EACH set on it's on key ring that has some sort of "hand-held item" on it! Something easy to see! Marking each one for what it goes to.

CBODY67
Kicking myself for not immediately making spares. Bad habit of mine.

Don't "kick" too hard. You're not the only one who's been there!

CBODY67

No maybe's about it, this guy did it for me, both keys.

It's not that hard to pull the ignition cylinder, I know you know how to pull a wheel.

Then again, your power windows undoubtedly need fresh lube anyway. Pull door panel.

IMG_20180623_220443.png

Check everyplace that you didn't check because you said they wouldn't be there.

Left in house/garage door, left in mailbox...

Then it is no stone left unturned, start at the door and go through everything in each room.

Alan

I do have a favorite garage shirt...a charcoal gray hoodie I got from a small brewery in Traverse City, MI. The front of it has a giant train logo on it, the back says Ales by the Rails. I was SO HOPEFUL that I'd reach into the front pouch and find my elusive keys. Nope. Also checked shorts and capris. Nope.

BUT my other half managed to get the car started by taking the key out of the 47 Dodge and "bumping" it in the ignition. Use a similar key, inserted all the way then slightly backed out. Keep working in forward and backward in the ignition while bumping the top. Allows the little pins to fall into the slots in the new key. It solves our prob for now, as long as we don't take the key all of the way out! We'll just disconnect the battery while not in use.

On the downside, I was able to check the check valve and it's fine. Which means that I'll be installing a new brake booster. Yay! :) and master cylinder of course.
I'm glad you folks figured out a way to continue the project... bummer on the booster issue. Reproduction lock sets are ridiculously cheap on EB... the primary reason I never bothered to license up and sell them myself.

I am a big believer in spare keys... and have done the same thing, neglected to get one made before I needed it. I don't do "impressioning" which is the term for what Carmine is recommending. The old guy may even do it on a house call for less than you'd expect... but it's a dying skill in an industry that requires modern automotive locksmiths to be able to clone keys or reprogram a stupid number of factory systems. The old guy in question can probably do the same on most home and business lock cylinders... all with only a few bucks worth of equipment.

If you call, make sure you specify the year and make... our old Mopars have an extremely easy pin system to impression.

I stuffed them in the shoulder belt straps along the roof while working on the inside of Challenger once so they wouldn’t get sat on or stepped on. Promptly forgot and since I didn’t use the shoulders it was a month before I found them. Fortunately I always had spares because I always locked them in the car too!

Back