Keywest Trip Ideas & Tips

Key West..... point by point:

Stay at a bed and breakfast if you can. “Authors” is one I truly enjoyed. Old southern Victorian with each room named for an author. Nice people there too. This is worth at least 10 solid brownie points.... 1000 points if you book it and surprise her with it.

Rent a bike to wander the historic neighborhoods and discover a way of like that is unique. A tour of the cemetery is really interesting because of the stories surrounding the colorful residents. 1-5 brownie points if you chat and listen as you ride along and use actual words in conversation.

Go to the key lime pie factory and eat some pie. 2 points if you both actually like it and 200 points if you secretly have a few shipped home in secret.... to arrive a week after you return.

People go there to disconnect and disappear... for a few days .... or a lifetime. Residents are.... very colorful. 1 point for every one you engage and 2 for each time you ask them for directions.... in front of you wife.

Sunset on Mallory square a must. Easy 5 points. But... Get there early. 10 points if you reserve a small table at one of the restaurants that face west.

Enjoy!

Javier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, feel free to keep them coming. Scooter sounds better than a bike, if we decide to go mobile. Laura loves key lime pie.

Don't forget Key West got destroyed in Hurricane Irma and a lot of it has yet to be rebuilt.
Dag... I'd forgotten about that... I suppose pictures will be needed, stuff's bound to look a little different.
Garden of Eden rooftop bar is clothing optional. Don't go if you're a prude.
:rofl:The youngsters at the last dealership tried that on a trip I chose not to participate in... They were all scared for life... :lol:
Thanks for the suggestions, feel free to keep them coming. Scooter sounds better than a bike, if we decide to go mobile. Laura loves key lime pie.
Just keep in mind, while Key West will be a lot more relaxed, Florida does issue DUI's while riding a scooter or a bicycle... I'm sure there are non-drinking activities to do there, as mentioned by others, but I have no experience with Key West that way.

Just keep in mind, while Key West will be a lot more relaxed, Florida does issue DUI's while riding a scooter or a bicycle... I'm sure there are non-drinking activities to do there, as mentioned by others, but I have no experience with Key West that way.

Speaking of...I need to try and find the pic where we were riding scooters in KW and my cousin tried to kick my old man off of his. Classic pic. They went at it all along the street that rides along the shore. Thankfully none of us drunkards were hurt. Lots of good memories!

I actually told her I'd ask members here for suggestions, and she was ok with it.

For every Cbody dollar spent Mrs Doba gets equal value in Vacation Destinations....its a win win as I get the Cbody and the Vacation......:)

For every Cbody dollar spent Mrs Doba gets equal value in Vacation Destinations....its a win win as I get the Cbody and the Vacation......:)
My faith in your selling abilities will be fully insured only on the day I see proof you've convinced her that Carlisle in July is an ideal vacation destination... until then, you're just as whipped as the rest of us. :poke::lol:

My faith in your selling abilities will be fully insured only on the day I see proof you've convinced her that Carlisle in July is an ideal vacation destination... until then, you're just as whipped as the rest of us. :poke::lol:

You speak the truth my friend...

Update: We are taking our granddaughters, ages 4 and 8, to Walt Disney World in late April. Laura decided she couldn't do a vacation early in the year and Carlisle, so we changed our plans for the Keys for some other time. Spring Break being her reason for the change. Works for me. It might be a little more hectic with the kiddos along, but we can scratch the Disney vacation off our list, and come in waaaayyyy under the budget she originally had (Laura, myself, her daughter, and son in law, plus the kiddos). We got our flight and hotel booked already (Laura bundled them and the savings covered insurance), just need to get the rental van squared away. A coworker has aa daughter that's interning there, so we are supposed to get passes for a day, we will purchase two more days so we can see more than just one part of that place. So we are still going to Florida, just a different part of it. Laura was trying to save five dollars here and five dollars there, I just laughed and said I'd be in Tourist Mode, and expected money to be spent. Can't wait to cruise around with all the crazies on the road down there, I'll be ony best behavior due to the youngsters with us. See how it compares to the Virgina/D.C. area.

Make sure you pack your Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops. We did the Disney experiences back in the early 90's, you'll have fun and make memories with the kids! Make sure you hit the teacup and Dumbo rides. I spent one day doing those with our 4 year old daughter cuz she wasn't tall enough for the big rides.

Update: We are taking our granddaughters, ages 4 and 8, to Walt Disney World in late April. Laura decided she couldn't do a vacation early in the year and Carlisle, so we changed our plans for the Keys for some other time. Spring Break being her reason for the change. Works for me. It might be a little more hectic with the kiddos along, but we can scratch the Disney vacation off our list, and come in waaaayyyy under the budget she originally had (Laura, myself, her daughter, and son in law, plus the kiddos). We got our flight and hotel booked already (Laura bundled them and the savings covered insurance), just need to get the rental van squared away. A coworker has aa daughter that's interning there, so we are supposed to get passes for a day, we will purchase two more days so we can see more than just one part of that place. So we are still going to Florida, just a different part of it. Laura was trying to save five dollars here and five dollars there, I just laughed and said I'd be in Tourist Mode, and expected money to be spent. Can't wait to cruise around with all the crazies on the road down there, I'll be ony best behavior due to the youngsters with us. See how it compares to the Virgina/D.C. area.
I'm game to go near the Rat Trap and I'll put a knee on your chest and force a beer down your throat if you like.

I'm game to go near the Rat Trap and I'll put a knee on your chest and force a beer down your throat if you like.

Just be careful down there.....

Jeff will have you on a junkyard safari!

:poke:

Get the magic band for your wrist, that way you wave your hand and get a beer, that makes the whole place better.
Just watch when you get close to your limit you set, they will make you feel like a dirtbag when it gets disapproved because your at the limit you set, or they set one for you.
Honestly the band makes it alot better than carring buckets of cash.

Why, why, why, would otherwise loving and caring parents subject innocent children to listening "It's a small world".
That tune will run in their heads for the rest of their lives.
Child abuse. That's what I call it.

Back