Kickdown needed ?

downtownblues

Reaction score
Hi Guys

The upper part on my shift shaft (see Picture) is damaged. (too much slag .. maybe internally broken .. i don't know) That part for the Kickdown Linkage.

Question: Do i need an correctly working Kickdown/Linkage for my 727 Torqueflite to work properly.

And if its absolutely needed what can i do. Do i have to replace the whole valve body ?

Kind regards
Sven

Shift Shaft.jpg

Yes. Without it your transmission will shift way too early. My '62 was way out of adjustment when I bought it, as if it didn't even have a kick-down on it. A transmission guy told me that's a great way to burn one out.

Yes, you need it to modulate the line pressure. Without it, the trans won't shift properly and will burn the clutches out.

Not sure what you mean by too much "slag". You really need to clearly define what you mean. Slag is a byproduct of melting. In the automotive world, if you said "slag", I would look for a part that has been cut off with a cutting torch and left rough.

I understand there's a language difference.. Pictures say a thousand words.

If you drive without it 300 miles until its toast.

Please explain your problem better. The first 1/4 of the travel there will be no resistance.

In looking at the photo the seal looks new and it’s not down very far. It should seal, but it might pop out. The “shaft” coming through looks beat up, might leak.
Is this a new trans or someone just changed this seal?

A1656F19-C42E-496C-A5A2-1555D05F954B.jpeg

Last edited:
If you drive without it 300 miles until its toast.

Please explain your problem better. The first 1/4 of the travel there will be no resistance.
I think downtownblues perhaps meant "slop" when using the term "slag". As you said, there is no resistance to that first 90 degrees of shaft rotation. But if a person is not familiar with the kickdown linkage "slop", they might think that something is damaged in the valve body.

The photo he provided shows no apparent damage, so let's assume the photo is provided to show us exactly what item (the shaft) he's talking about.

I suspect that once the correct linkage is installed and adjusted properly--and if the trans hasn't been damaged by bring driven with having hydraulic pressure modulation (as Big_John mentioned)--it should work just fine.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
What i meant is if its correct that this upper Part for the Kickdown Linkage moves like shown in the Video. A Friend of mine has an 67 Charger with an 727 Tranny. In his Car this Part barely moves. And yes, i've changed the Seal. Its the Heavy Duty one which didn't fit all the way in.Its supposed to be that way.(i think)Today the Car runs for an hour. No leaking at all. Sven

The top lever will move easily, especially with the engine not running. You must have this lever at the transmission connected to the carburetor throttle linkage and properly adjusted.

Back