Kinda got a lift...

71NewYorkMan

Reaction score
Kinda running better...

So- got the car on the lift Tuesday. Found the undercarriage to be in relatively good condition, with just a few concerns.

Brakes are good. No leaks or badly worn parts found. Rotors/drums replaced at some point in the past. Pads/discs worn but good. Fuel and brake lines serviceable, but front and rear hoses deteriorated (to be replaced).

Rear axle and suspension- good (springs, bushings, isolators all aged but serviceable).

Front suspension-good. Idler, pitman, linkages and bushings, ball joints- all good. Torsion bars and isolators good. Outer tie rod ends to be replaced.

Steering box- FAIL. (major leaks at sector and worm shaft seals. Sector shaft “wobbling” side to side.)
IMG_1344.JPG

Exhaust system- FAIL. Somewhere between Washington and Georgia the transporter moved the car off the truck, causing the exhaust to backfire and grenade the muffler with the raw fuel being dumped into the engine by the dirty carb.
IMG_1368.JPG

Incredibly- the cat converter in still in place!
IMG_1370.JPG

A new exhaust needs to be installed, leaving the original y-pipe in place. (it's in good condition).

The wheels offered yet another disappointment- they are Ford rims hogged out in the center.
IMG_1361.JPG

So- the steel wheels from my parts car (Cordoba) now will be put into service on this car. After this list of to-do’s (and all fluids changed), the car should be drivable.

Can anyone tell me what these brackets are for? The car is equipped with the auto height option. Are the brackets part of some hitch system?
IMG_1359 copy.jpg

After completing the lift portion of the survey, I have decided that the car warrants continued repairs and restoration. It will be more work than I envisioned, but I enjoy the challenges these projects offer. And- I KINDA like driving this car. ;)

That was an epic fail on the muffler. Brackets appear to have been part of a light duty trailer hitch, although no one in their right mind would use that type of mounting. Steering gear is probably shot, although you might try to adjust it as that will sometimes slow down the leaks if the adjustment is way off. Most of the time, the gear is just worn and needs to be rebuilt. Find a quality rebuilder and for God's sake do not put a Cardone rebuilt gear in your car.

Dave

for God's sake do not put a Cardone rebuilt gear
Agreed. (my most recent Cardone experience with a distributor was a hassle). I had thought to have FirmFeel rebuild it, as they have for my 71 NYer and 77 Cordoba. ACDelco offers a reman, but it appears to be unavailable through any current vendors. I am thinking of taking a chance on a Lares reman currently available.

Agreed. (my most recent Cardone experience with a distributor was a hassle). I had thought to have FirmFeel rebuild it, as they have for my 71 NYer and 77 Cordoba. ACDelco offers a reman, but it appears to be unavailable through any current vendors. I am thinking of taking a chance on a Lares reman currently available.

Lares has always done good work for my various projects. Several vendors sell the Lares units or you can send yours to them and have it rebuilt.

Dave

I didn't find any evidence of a hitch ever being mounted on the bumper or anywhere on the frame, thus my puzzlement about the brackets.

With the advent of energy absorbing bumpers, hitches could no longer be hooked to the bumper. The shock tubes that the bumper was mounted on would pull apart. Those brackets might also have been for a bike rack or rear advertising sign.

Dave

With the advent of energy absorbing bumpers, hitches could no longer be hooked to the bumper.
Another interesting obscurity. I recall that the energy absorbing bumpers were capable of supporting a light hitch. Indeed, my 77 Cordoba sports an aftermarket bumper hitch that was present when I bought the car in 1981! I used it often back in the day to haul my Lyman 17' runabout around. I also hauled much heavier Tiara and Mako GRP boats a few times while working for a small town boat dealer. Curious trivia!

Last edited:
Back