Knock in Steeringwheel when braking

Knebel

Reaction score
I have noticed this a couple times by now, when I brake a little harder from above 40mph to slow down and make a turn, I get this "knock" in the steering wheel. It feels like its dependant upon the tire rotation. What it does is, it knocks the steeringwheel back and forth ever so slightly.

My suspension components and Brakes have less than 10000mi on them. I replaced everything but the pitman arm. Just checked balljoints, they could be tighter but have no play. Could that be a drum out of round?

I have noticed this a couple times by now, when I brake a little harder from above 40mph to slow down and make a turn, I get this "knock" in the steering wheel. It feels like its dependant upon the tire rotation. What it does is, it knocks the steeringwheel back and forth ever so slightly.

My suspension components and Brakes have less than 10000mi on them. I replaced everything but the pitman arm. Just checked balljoints, they could be tighter but have no play. Could that be a drum out of round?

Check the lower bushing on the steering column for excessive play. If this vehicle has a rag joint, check to be sure it is not failing. Also check the coupling for the steering gear for excessive play. Would also be a good idea to be sure all of the steering gear bolts are tight. Also check the pitman arm. The symptoms you are describing are probably not caused by an out of round drum.

Dave

Rag Joint, that seems like an interesting contraption, had to google it lol. I dont think i have one, my car had the "squarish" looking steering coupler. i know my steeringbox has some play, always had it but never made that back and forth "knock knock knock". Shouldn't be too hard to check all that except, I dont know how to check the pitman arm. could it be the tie rod ends? Ohwell, Its due for a greasup anyways to i will pry and rattle on some things :). Guess that needs to be a 5am thing since its raining liquid lava this week any other time of the day.

Back