Knock noise front end of 1968 Plymouth Fury

25tj25

Reaction score
hey guys I have noticed and its only on the drivers side a small knock noise with suspension travel. I can get the car to make the noise by pushing up and down to get the drivers side and get the suspension full travel , klunk, klunk for example if I sit on the front fender it goes down and small klunk, I get off and nothing but If I if the fender up it goes klunk again, so something is popping in or out or side by side. its more like a knock then a klunk I guess, not over loud
it seems like back of the torsion bar or something hard to tell , any ideas?

My suggestion would be that you get someone to help you listen. Someone that can move around. Sounds seem to come from one place when they are really coming from somewhere else.

I agree with what Big John said - check the shock.

My suggestion would be that you get someone to help you listen. Someone that can move around. Sounds seem to come from one place when they are really coming from somewhere else.

I agree with what Big John said - check the shock.

Hey guys

I will do that, didn't even think of the shock, looking for something more complicated which is stupid of me, will check tonight and update you guys

thanks
tim

hey guys I have noticed and its only on the drivers side a small knock noise with suspension travel. I can get the car to make the noise by pushing up and down to get the drivers side and get the suspension full travel , klunk, klunk for example if I sit on the front fender it goes down and small klunk, I get off and nothing but If I if the fender up it goes klunk again, so something is popping in or out or side by side. its more like a knock then a klunk I guess, not over loud
it seems like back of the torsion bar or something hard to tell , any ideas?

There's a few things besides loose shocks that will cause this - ball joints, bushings on the lower and upper control arms (usually) and the stabilizer bar bushings and mounts or simply a binding/worn tie rod end. If there's a funky wear pattern on the front tires, and the shocks tight, start looking at upper and lower arm bushings. Just did a 66 Imperial with those symptoms and the rear upper a-arm bushing was gone and the lower arm bushing was split and coming out of the outer housing. Hope it's not major and something you can fix yourself. Raise the front and wooble the wheels for lateral play.

I suggest you jack up the front end and place jack stands under the lower control arms and take the weight off the car. Then you can use a pry bar to check each part of the front end. What ever you find worn, remember to replace both sides when you repair.

Probably a bad bushing, either on the control arms or the strut rods. Shocks too....

If you have a swaybar check it's rubber bushings, that's what caused my clunking noise when going over bumps or a rough road. It's a cheap fix if that's the problem.

If you have a swaybar check it's rubber bushings, that's what caused my clunking noise when going over bumps or a rough road. It's a cheap fix if that's the problem.
Yep, that is right and I had forgotten. That was the problem on my '62. Put on new links and the noise was gone.

Back