LA 318 engine oil capacity?

Hipturd

Reaction score
Can someone help me with the correct amount of engine oil for a 72 LA 318? Google seems to be confused on the subject,lol. I put in about 5.25 quarts or 5 litres . I don’t know if I have the correct dipstick as there are some homemade marks etc.
it’s reading high on the dipstick, should I take some out? It has the longer oil filter, not sure if there is a short version.

Can someone help me with the correct amount of engine oil for a 72 LA 318? Google seems to be confused on the subject,lol. I put in about 5.25 quarts or 5 litres . I don’t know if I have the correct dipstick as there are some homemade marks etc.
it’s reading high on the dipstick, should I take some out? It has the longer oil filter, not sure if there is a short version.
The best thing you can do is get a factory service manual and not rely on Google.
Download one here: Service Manuals – MyMopar They have Plymouth which will be virtually the same as a Dodge if that is what you have.

The answer to your question is 4 quarts PLUS 1 quart if you change the filter (factory used to recommend every other oil change, but everybody always changes them with every oil change)

The extra 1/4 of a quart won't hurt.

If you haven't started the car yet since the oil change (with filter), the oil will read high on the dip stick because it hasn't filled the new filter. If you have started it, just mark the stick where it is and go from there.

Lots of times dip sticks are lost or broken and a substitute is stuck in there and remarked. You could find another.... But there's also a good chance the dipstick tube may have been changed and again, folks just get what fits and mark the dipstick accordingly. These cars have been around for 50 years and a lot can happen, especially when they were just an old used car and the cheapest/quickest/easiest repair was the order of the day.

The problem here in Canada is the confusion beteeen US measure, Imperial measure and Metric measure. The FSM says 4 US quarts in the oil pan plus 1 US quart in the filter OR 3.25 Imp quarts in the pan plus 0.75 Imp quarts in the filter. This equals 3.79 liters in the pan and 0.94 liters in the filter.
I put as much as I can in the filter before installing it and put 4 liters in the pan with a bottle of STP. After starting the engine, the level can be checked and added to if necessary. Lindsay

Drain Oil.
Replace filter.
Do the math.
Put equivalent of 5 US Quarts in.
Check dipstick.
Done

Alan

Police, towing, high output, or light duty truck situations might call for a 6qt pan, otherwise passenger cars are quite typically 5qts with filter.

For me 5 qts of Shell Rotella T4 in the appropriate weight, 15W-40 for rough duty, 10W-30 for lighter duty, and a Wix 51515.

Back