Late model radio install

Steve A

Reaction score
I have seen C bodies with later model Chrysler radios in them. I am not an electrical genius, is there a wiring harness adapter that is available to install a 90's or later model radio in my 74 Fury ?

I installed a late 90's factory AM/FM/CD in my '76 NYB (same car basically). If you can wait until morning, I'll dig up the connecter # for you. It's the 2 connectors that you plug into the late model radio with pigtails only. You still have to splice your existing wiring into the new pigtails. There is no adapter ti plug your existing harness into the later model radio. You can get them on ebay.
The good news is that it is a bolt in plug n play installation in the dash with no modifications. The bad news is you have to run new pairs of wiring to all the speakers which you ARE replacing also, right? Your current speakers are single wire which won't work with a later radio. Plus you'll have to run an additional wire into the headlight switch itself which is a pain in the *** and a new wire to the BATTERY side of the fuse box for the radio memory.
Now that I think about it, you only utilize two of your existing wires: the wire for your switched power supply and the wire for your dimable illumination.

Sent using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Yes, new speakers also.
First of all, asking the same question over on The DryDock has yielded you ZERO useful info from the replies I read. The replies were either totaly wrong, incomplete, or confusing at best.
If you want the correct info on 74 - 78 C-bodies, come HERE. Anywhere else (including Moparts) will just mess you up more than you started out with. Now, with that said and off my chest...

Here's the harness you need to plug into your late model radio:

1zyrgl.jpg

Here is a late model Chrysler AM/FM/CD installed in my car. Doesn't get more "factory" than this:

2vw7iom.jpg

Any Chrysler 1 1/2 DIN radio with this style face plate will bolt right in with no modifications. FWIW, NO aftermarket radio manufacturer makes a 1 1/2 DIN radio. Panasonic used to but you can't find them any more.

23tqgp5.jpg

When you're ready to do the installation, I'll show you the easiest way to wire it in.

Last edited:
Also:
The AM/FM/Tape radios are cheap on eBay.
The AM/FM/ CD radios are expensive on eBay.
The AM/FM/Cassette/CD radios are obscenely expensive on eBay.
Why would you want the cheaper but obsolete AM/FM/Tape radio?
Because you can buy a iPod/MP3 adapter to plug into the cassette player...

Now, find that info on The DryDock..... :poke:

Last edited:
Those pig tails are to plug into a late model harness, not the radio.

Thanks Commando, sorry about visiting Dry Dock....:busted:

Those pig tails are to plug into a late model harness, not the radio.
You are 100% correct, sir.
In my haste I cut 'n pasted the female connector.
I have corrected the post to show the correct male connector
Thanks for dope slap, Newp. :busted:

Last edited:
Thanks Commando, sorry about visiting Dry Dock....
Don't be sorry. I'm there everyday myself.
They're good for the Slab and Fusie guys...
And include MoparFins.com in your daily readings for all things C-body.
Between the three you're bound to find the answer to just about anything....:icon_thumright:
Can never get too much info about C-bodies, the red headed Mopar child...

Last edited:
I plan to do the install next week. I can use any wiring instructions that you have, I am an idiot when it comes to electrical.

I attempted the same route as Stan, but after three radios that didn't work correctly. I broke down and went aftermarket. I wasn't crazy about it at first, the late model radio looked great in there. I got the pig tails for the factory radio from the donor car harness the radio came from. The factory radio also had a sticker on it showing the wiring connections. If you decide to go that route be cautious of the heat sink. (keep wires and stuff clear)

:beerchug:

I'm going to install a new aftermarket radio in the glovebox. I was just wondering if anyone could enlightenment where to run the accessory and illumination wires. Also, when running a single front speaker, is it best to wire both of the front speaker outputs to the single speaker or just pick one side?

The Illumination wire has to run to the headlight switch and the display wire can just be tapped into any instrument panel lamp wire that is on the dimmer circuit.
Using just one channel to one speaker loses all the sound that comes out the other channel. Some audio installers have told me that wiring both channels into one speaker has caused the amp to burn out on some of the cheaper radios.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
OK, I just found out that unless I hack out the back of the glove box it won't fit in there too well. Any ideas on where else to mount it without it being seen but still easily accessible? And where on the headlight switch do I mount it to?

No clue on where to hide the radio.
You're going to have to a wiring schematic but you're looking for the wire that goes to the headlights.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

In ye olden dayes it was quite common to mount aftermarket radios under the dash. A couple of hardware store brackets on the bottom lip of the dash usually sufficed.

I used one of these in my Imperial.Smack dead center under the dash on the hump, two screws at the front and the back is flush with the carpet. Doesn`t move a bit.
Your local marine dealer should be able to help you out.
Your rig will most likely have a detatchable face,take it with you when you go.Rig is useless without the face.
images.jpg

images.jpg

Last edited:
In ye olden dayes it was quite common to mount aftermarket radios under the dash. A couple of hardware store brackets on the bottom lip of the dash usually sufficed.
I agree but I'd be afraid that someone would try to steal it.

You can also control a lot of the aftermarket stuff with a remote & hide it wherever you want.

I was thinking about under the dash centered, but there' s the floor air bar that takes up that whole area. Does anyone know if remotes will work through the plastic blank off plate?

Back