Lawnmower engine seized?

mdh157

Reaction score
This aft my walk behind just shut off and the pull cord won't move. I am guessing the engine is prob seized? Anyone know anything i can do to verify that or possibly to get it moving again without dismantling the whole thing? It is a briggs and stratton.

This aft my walk behind just shut off and the pull cord won't move. I am guessing the engine is prob seized? Anyone know anything i can do to verify that or possibly to get it moving again without dismantling the whole thing? It is a briggs and stratton.

A lot of modern lawn mover engines have a friction band around the engine fly wheel that stops the engine if one's hand is removed from the handle. This is a safety feature to keep idiots from putting their hands into the discharge chute to unplug it with the motor running. If the cable breaks or comes loose from the friction stop mechanism, the default position is to lock the engine. Check your cable to be sure it is still working. Second, check the mower deck to be sure that nothing is wedged between the blade and the mower housing. If the engine ran out of oil and locked up it is probably toast.

Dave

IF the engine really is seized . . . cheaper to buy a new one than to try to fix the old one. New 20" gas mowers are just under $200.00. BE SURE to get one with the wheel adjustments on the outside of the deck, rather than the less expensive ones with dedicated wheel bolt holes for height adjustments. Might seem like a small thing, BUT with the thinner metal in the more recent decks, the area where the wheel bolts go through are flimsier and prone to cracking out. Been there, done that.

Last time a friend priced a new B&S mower engine, it was over $300.00 (25 years ago) just for the engine. New mower is under $200.00, currently.

CBODY67

A lot of modern lawn mover engines have a friction band around the engine fly wheel that stops the engine if one's hand is removed from the handle. This is a safety feature to keep idiots from putting their hands into the discharge chute to unplug it with the motor running. If the cable breaks or comes loose from the friction stop mechanism, the default position is to lock the engine. Check your cable to be sure it is still working. Second, check the mower deck to be sure that nothing is wedged between the blade and the mower housing. If the engine ran out of oil and locked up it is probably toast.

Dave

This wouldn’t stop it from turning AT ALL in and of itself but it’s a good place to start. I’ve never had an engine seize up entirely due to work... even over work.

Let it cool as has been said. Check the underside, not sure if you’re running into a bag, if you’re mulching or if you’re using a discharge chute but it can get pretty clogged up in there. Check what Dave said above that the cable if functioning properly on the safety handle.

Worse comes to worst, you could pop the spark plug out and try dropping some ATF down there for a day then popping it loose with a rubber mallet to the blade... replace plug and try again...

Last edited:
Hey Mark! The new season of “Oak Island” is like a month and a half away, gettin excited?:lol:

After messing with it i believe it is seized so i took the plug out and sprayed some wd40 in there. Will mess with it again tomorrow, maybe try some mystery oil, and if if doesn't pop loose i will just pick up a cheap replacement. I bought it new in 2005 so i guess i got my money out of it.

Matt.....yes, i will try to watch this season. Not expecting much but wth, the lure if treasure is always fascinating. You and i ought to go to New Mexico to search for the Fenn Treasure. Who knows, maybe we will even find some rust free old cars in the process.

After messing with it i believe it is seized so i took the plug out and sprayed some wd40 in there. Will mess with it again tomorrow, maybe try some mystery oil, and if if doesn't pop loose i will just pick up a cheap replacement. I bought it new in 2005 so i guess i got my money out of it.

WD-40 is not a good choice for freeing up stuck components. ATF or Penetrating oil works much better.

Dave

Matt.....yes, i will try to watch this season. Not expecting much but wth, the lure if treasure is always fascinating. You and i ought to go to New Mexico to search for the Fenn Treasure. Who knows, maybe we will even find some rust free old cars in the process.
We could also start a countersearch for the confederate gold that may have went down in Lake Michigan, it’s closer to home.:p

I was able to mess with the mower. Took thd plug out and sprayed pen oil into the cyl, let it sit, repeated, then was able to get it to turn by hand. Put the plug back in and it started!

We could also start a countersearch for the confederate gold that may have went down in Lake Michigan, it’s closer to home.:p
Dunno Matt.....someone in NW PA researched, dug and found a cache of civil war gold that was stolen but the feds stepped in and are taking all of it. We can go out to new mexico and try to find Fenn's Treasure.

Back