lead additive for '67 383 2bbl?

david42

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if I should be using lead additive in my new '67 Monaco. As stated above, it has the 383 2-bbl engine, and it now has about 129,000 miles. The owner's manual says that the compression is 9.2 and requires regular fuel (in 1967, of course).

I've put in a few tanks of gas since I bought it (always 93 octane) and haven't had any issues so far. So, would the lead additive prevent problems down the road?

Thanks,
David

Hardened exhaust valve seats arrived in 1972 for Chrysler engines. So, unless the heads have been off and upgraded, you will eventually cause damage without the additive.

But after how many miles? 150,000? Shes ready for a build by then anyway.

Like I said...eventually. I imagine that point will be dependant on driving habits. If you go without he additive, just don't ***** and moan when it happens.

By then the seals are leaking, the chain has already been replaced and she smokes like a chimney, but I'd still *****

This is good info for me. With my MGB I needed a valve job only after putting about 50,000 on the car, which is common for an MG. One was so bad that I had a O on a compression test for that cylinder.

I have been putting a lead substitute in it every time I filled up. Since it sat for 32 years, it never had anything in it but leaded gas. I currently have 63,000 on my '66, so most agree that I should expect any problems for many years, and by then I will be rebuilding the engine anyway.

Like I said...eventually. I imagine that point will be dependant on driving habits. If you go without he additive, just don't ***** and moan when it happens.

Well, I don't want to lose my right to *****/moan, so that takes care of that. And at $5/tank, it's cheap insurance.

Are there lead additives available on the US market or only lead substitutes like in Europe ?

Back