Lead and leadless

chilsam

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a shop in IL that does lead or leadless solder body work? I'm n cent IL....THANX!

No 70 440 6 Pak 4 speed S60 Bee clone "my avatar".I'm on B Body only also but body work is body work and no one knows on B Body forum so I'm try'n here also.My FAV C BODY is the 70 POLARA !

Small shallow creases that were drilled n bondod WHY they were drilled I have no idea.There is LIL to NO distortion that I can see from the inside.There on the 1/4's round the wheel openings n below the rear windows.Also Driver side fender and front valance is tweaked.Being in IL the weather goes to EXTREMES and all cars I'v seen over the years start to crack and have small pieces pop out after a bit.Which is why I want to go with lead or lead less solder if I can't find someone still practicing this lost art guess i'll get some junk doors n a kit and PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

It sounds like you shouldn't be looking for someone still doing lead repair but someone who can still tin knock.
The right way to handle your situation is to pull the dents out using the holes, welding up the holes then hammer & dolly out the dents and creases to a smooth surface. Then several light skin coats of filler.
Lead is for customizing work.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
Small shallow creases that were drilled n bondod WHY they were drilled I have no idea.

It was pretty common for backyard bodymen to drill holes to get the Bondo to squeeze through as it was applied. The idea was the bondo wouldn't fall out as easy.

I've seen it many times.

I guess I'll have get it down to bare metal to see what I'm dealing with I've watched some Lead & Lead less solder work on u tube and was VERY impressed with the results think the guy put a new 1/4 r's on a shoebox Nova.When he was done with the the files & orbital sander it looked GREAT! He then used a paper thin layer of "bodyman in a can" to finish off the SLIGHT imperfections.Like I said I have NO idea why they drilled the 1/4 r's because from the inside I see no damage unless it was to hold the bondo on like Big John mentioned

No 70 440 6 Pak 4 speed S60 Bee clone "my avatar" (...) My FAV C BODY is the 70 POLARA !
Very belated welcome! You are in IL, so if you can bring your car to the Illinois River Run from Peru to Peoria and back on May 2, 2021, that'd be great! There will be at least one 1970 Polara there, and the event is for Mopars but (it) need not be C-bodies only and (ii) all FCBO members (or Mopars owned by their friends) are welcome.

The guy who did the body work on my 69 used lead. After it was blasted he showed me the original lead joints from the factory.
He leaded in both quarters after they were mig welded. He also used lead on the trunk extension part which had a lot of rot.
I do know he used a skim coat over the lead for any pin holes in the lead.
I watched him do some of the work, the vertical joints are tricky for sure
This guy worked in a GM plant back in the day and did body repairs on cars that were accidentally damaged during assembly
He told me the hood he used filler and not lead.
When I asked him how much body filler he used on my car he told me he bought a gallon.
I thought that was a lot and he laughed, he told me three quarters of that was sanded off
He told me what you see on TV can be misleading, he told me some of these cars are wiped front to back with filler.
Id guess lead is still being used but is a lost art mostly

Back