Leaf spring clamps

Analog Kid

Reaction score
So I've got a broken leaf spring clamp...I've looked online and found some that would probably work but they aren't really the same and they don't come with the pads. Any ideas on where to get replacement clamps that are similar?

IMG_2197.JPG

Do you have a local spring rebuilder in your area? If not you could try Eaton spring or Espo spring, sorry no link.

Pads? The "pads" referenced above are where the leaf spring fits in its mounting clamp to the axle. Might be better to find some in polyurethane, but they'll cost a little more.

There were two types of spring inter-leaf pads that Chrysler used. One was the wax-coated version with a plastic dowel that snapped into the spring leaf's hole at the rear of the leaf. With time and use, they'll deteriorate and need replacement. Just pry the leaves apart and install them carefully.

The other type was a zinc-coated thing spacer for the HD springs, from what I understand. Main thing was noise attenuation as the springs flexed against each other.

In some cases, removing the rear leaf clamps can get a better launch in drag racing situations. Upon initial acceleration, the rear leaves will physically separate from the torque reaction. Interesting to watch! But I also suspect they need to be there to help with lateral forces during cornering maneuvers.

CBODY67

I ordered a rebuild kit from Year One, but that was about 8 years ago when they had a 66-74 A/C body catalog. The kit with the zinc and plastic inter liner, metal straps and rubber insulator went for $64. Just the clamps with no rubber insulators was $62. It seemed kind of spendy but at the time I didn’t find too many other options. Not sure if you are after a full spring re- build or just the clamps.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back