Leaf spring rebuild

BigblueC

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a small project on my car since I'm not yet emotionally ready to fork out a large sum of money for upholstery, I thought I would rebuild my leaf spring packs. I've searched here and didn't find anything relevant, nor did I find any ready made kits for my car on line (65 New Yorker). What I did find was that Moog offers 2 piece bushings and Firm Feel shows 1 piece bushings to be available. Does anyone have any input about these two options? Where can I find the pads that go between the springs and the bands? Also were these springs painted from the factory or left as cast? Thanks guys.

The 2 piece bushings are easier to put in unless you have access to a press, I believe the springs were left natural. I personally would paint them though. Can't help with the pads in between

The 2 piece bushings are easier to put in unless you have access to a press, I believe the springs were left natural. I personally would paint them though. Can't help with the pads in between

Your best bet would be to pull both rear springs and take them to a spring shop to be re-arched and re-packed. The spring shop will supply the proper end bushings, usually 2 piece items and they will also test the springs to see if the are sound enough to bother with trying to re-arch. Most of the time if the vehicle has more than about 135k the metal in the springs has gone south and they need to be replaced.

Dave

I'm looking to do a small project on my car since I'm not yet emotionally ready to fork out a large sum of money for upholstery, I thought I would rebuild my leaf spring packs. I've searched here and didn't find anything relevant, nor did I find any ready made kits for my car on line (65 New Yorker). What I did find was that Moog offers 2 piece bushings and Firm Feel shows 1 piece bushings to be available. Does anyone have any input about these two options? Where can I find the pads that go between the springs and the bands? Also were these springs painted from the factory or left as cast? Thanks guys.
You can buy the liners and clamps as part of rebuild kits. They don't list them for c-bodies, but you can probably work with a B-body kit. There's always some on eBay. As Dave has suggested, the springs might be fatigued anyway, so there's always that to consider.

Having springs rebuilt by a good shop is always an option, but I've seen good and bad results from spring shops. YMMV.

But... By the time you buy the parts or your springs rebuilt, you may be spending enough to make buying new springs worthwhile.

I suggest these guys. Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension | ESPO Springs n Things

ESPO is good as mentioned above, so is EATON DETROIT, who made most of the leaf springs for our cars for the factory.

Anyhow, as mentioned in my conversation with you, if you go ahead with doing them yourself like I did, here's pictures of the finished product. You can see the clips, the rubber pads under the clips, the plastic spring tip interliners, the new spring centre bolt, new spring eye bushings, etc etc.

My springs were special order RCMP pursuit car factory cop springs with extra leaves etc etc yadda yadda
7.jpg
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
(long story), so they may look a bit different than yours, but the basics are the same.

Hope this helps.

Ross gave me a great detailed breakdown of the rebuild process which seems to be a little more labor intensive than I had originally thought. I think I'll check with Eaton or ESPO and at least get a price, but I'll likely still end up doing this job at home.

Having springs rebuilt by a good shop is always an option, but I've seen good and bad results from spring shops.
Your best bet would be to pull both rear springs and take them to a spring shop to be re-arched and re-packed

I'm very weary of having springs re-arched, actually I would likely just replace the springs if re-arching is necessary. I've seen some very BAD jobs over the years. Obviously the good jobs are unnoticeable. Are there any measurements that can be taken with them on the car? The car is known to be original with ~30,000 miles, but I'm dealing with dry-rotted bushing and stuff. As-is and with a full tank the car sits level side to side with about 1 inch of rake front to back (I like how it's sitting), and the springs are near flat.

Service manual says that there is nothing wrong if the springs look flat if the ride height is correct.

30,000 miles springs should be OK. Just install new bushings.

Chrysler designed them to run flat, no positive arch. With the short front segment long rear the axle moves in a front to rear arc, when hanging it moves forward. The idea is when in a curve or turn the lift on the inside rear wheel will cause axle to move a bit forward helping to steer the rear around, or at least not fighting the turn.

We
Chrysler designed them to run flat, no positive arch. With the short front segment long rear the axle moves in a front to rear arc, when hanging it moves forward. The idea is when in a curve or turn the lift on the inside rear wheel will cause axle to move a bit forward helping to steer the rear around, or at least not fighting the turn.
Damn. You know lostsa ****. :thumbsup:

Looking for opinions now. Would you guys bother disassembling and rebuilding these spring packs or just replace the mounting bushings and maybe clean them up? The last picture is from a couple of years ago as I was getting it back on the road so things are dusty but kind of give an overall shot.

DSCF7013.JPG
DSCF7020.JPG
Marked #3.JPG

They look perfect. I'd just clean them up and replace the spring eye bushings.

I'd kill for a set of those spring pack clips.

Do NOT dissassemble them in my opinion. They are factory original and near impossible to find.

They look perfect. I'd just clean them up and replace the spring eye bushings.

I'd kill for a set of those spring pack clips.

Do NOT dissassemble them in my opinion. They are factory original and near impossible to find.

These do not need to be repaired. Replace the rubber bushings on both ends. If you still think the tail rides too low, invest in a set of rear load leveler shocks. That will raise the tail about 1" to1 1/2". If someone has rebuilt the front suspension, it might be set too high, check the FSM for the correct ride height.

Dave

Thanks guys. I'll take the advice and leave them alone. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, and more importantly what not to do on this car.

Back