Leaf springs - Formals

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score

For the '76 NYB

At this time it looks like ESPO for the leaf springs, isolators, U-bolts, and bushings.
I want a set of shackles just in case.... :D
P/N 3780516 looks like unobtanium.
Anybody ever replace the shackles on their Formal?

PicsArt_11-22-04.41.53.jpg

PicsArt_11-22-04.41.53.jpg

Why would you need shackles?

Because experience has shown us the metal is soft, the bolts are tight and the shackle bolts break. It is the wise thing to replace the U bolts, shackles and bushings while they are out

As long as you're replacing the ubolts, might as well put a small spacer in. 2" max....

Last I bought any was the late 1980's, dealer inventory, old stock. B body are reproduced... are they the same spring width? I would want them just for the bushings.

:laughing4:

They are unobtanium Stan.. I looked everywhere for em when I broke the ones on the bumo. They are their own special design ofcoarse. No one reproduces em. Gotta get em from a parts car.

:laughing4:

They are unobtanium Stan.. I looked everywhere for em when I broke the ones on the bumo. They are their own special design ofcoarse. No one reproduces em. Gotta get em from a parts car.

They arent available for Fuselage cars either unless ESPO has since made them as they were unaware they were different from B bodies

I also forgot to add- The bushings are different then all the other platforms as well. They might try to send you the regular B-body bushings, where the bushings are the same size for all 4 corners. Where as with the formals, they have different sized bushings. St louis spring hooked me up. I gave them the dimmensions of the bushings, and they found a set that would work. The b-body bushings will work on one side of the shackle, but not the bigger side.

1/4 steel and hardened bolts, make your own, especially with measurement from your originals. Not much too it.

I would as a last ditch effort call a reputable Mopar Dealer (parts department) that will take a minute to help you and ask them if there is a superseded part number available.

Arizona Parts has Part Number 3780513 Rear Spring Shackle and Bushing Package $13.20. Says it fits 74-83 cars but doesn't break it down by body type. Worth checking out...

Arizona Parts has Part Number 3780513 Rear Spring Shackle and Bushing
M-body but thanks.

Central Jersey only has one set.
Collectors says they have one but it's probably Central Jersey's.
Parts voice says 3780516 is an unknown number
I'll continue the search tomorrow with Len Dawson.

Thanks, guys.

Do you have a torch, why are you breaking the studs off. Heat baby, heat. Only snap bolts off when they aren't blind or not going through dissimilar metals and replacements are in hand.

Do you have a torch, why are you breaking the studs off. Heat baby, heat. Only snap bolts off when they aren't blind or not going through dissimilar metals and replacements are in hand.
If it can happen, it will happen to me. I live by that rule.
I want 2 pr. on the shelf ready to go....

20151122_233410.jpg

Heres a pic of the formal shackle, and the bigger diameter bushing that goes in the leaf spring eyelets. (I dont't have the smaller bushings for comparison, as the cordoba needed them..)

I had a ***** of a time hunting all this stuff down a while ago. I have 1 extra spare shackle, but I wanna hold onto it till the suspension is bolted back up just incase.. lol

The bolts on these snap way too easily. I pb blasted mine, and heated em, and they still snapped under the slightest bit od pressure.

20151122_233410.jpg

Back