Leaking Diff , what to do?

peterlucas

Reaction score
ive noticed a small leak over the last coupe of weeks from the diff of my 67 new yorker, over the 2 or 3 weeks its leaked about a palm sized patch of oil, its leaking from where the shaft meets the diff , there is a car show and cruise this week , will my car be ok to drive in that or is this a major i must fix asap, if so, what should i replace?

Check the level. If it needs oil fill it, drive it. After your show, replace the pinion seal.

Check the level. If it needs oil fill it, drive it. After your show, replace the pinion seal.

X2 ........
The seal won't effect performance, so enjoy your show.

If your car has reletavely low miles and sits for long periods of time it may reseal it self with a couple of heat cycles.
On a high mileage car it could indicate wear in the pinion bearing. If your not experiencing any vibrations, noises or excessive oil loss then just keep an eye on it.

Can anything go bad if drive it for the show? blow, break etc

Not in less you get stupid and start doing netural drops and burnouts ...... like some guys seem to think is so cool........:shruggy:
You should have no issues driving to and from your show.

i have never done a burnout in the car and dont plan on starting, there is a bit of driving as part of the show, would it pay to have the fluid topped up? its only dropped about a hand palm size patch of oil in bout 2 or 3 weeks

i have never done a burnout in the car and dont plan on starting, there is a bit of driving as part of the show, would it pay to have the fluid topped up? its only dropped about a hand palm size patch of oil in bout 2 or 3 weeks

It sure won't hurt. How long since you checked the diff fluid level......? If it's a problem to do it yourself just stop off at a quick lube on the way to your show and ask them to do it.

i can do basic mechanical stuff and done things like change intake manifolds,fuel pumps water pumps etc my self , how do i check the level of diff, the numbers on diff are 2070742 then AAPW then it says 319 written upside down

It a large pionion diff, remove yoke nut remove yoke replace seal reinstall yoke and nut torque to spec stake nut top off fluid.

how do i check the level of diff,

On the right, (passenger), side of the diff you will see a square headed plug. Remove it with an end wrench and fill to the bottom level of the hole with whatever gear oil is recommended for your car. Replace plug ....... wash hands ..... go to show.

Along with what the others advised...check the air vent to make sure its not plugged. Pressure can build up inside and make the seals weep.

Along with what the others advised...check the air vent to make sure its not plugged. Pressure can build up inside and make the seals weep.

Now he's really going to be confused......... Good suggustion though. Just unscrew it from the top of the axle tube and clean with solvent, reinstall. Do this before washing your hands.

i cleaned the breather valve , took out the filler bolt and poked lil finger in and couldnt feel any oil, gonna top up today, has anyone got a part number for the pinion seal and bearing, i have a whole heap of different new bearings and seals here

I find for the 8-3/4" Differentials with the 1-3/4"-742 Case
the seal P/N as
2404135 and the bearing P/N as 2808226.

Last edited:
The stuff stinks don't it hehehe. Make sure you get the sure-grip additive or make sure the gear oil already has it in it if you have a Sure Grip rear.

i removed and cleaned the breather valve , then gave the whole diff area a clean with soft wire brush and grease remover, topped up with diff oil it took 1 liter to top up (thats bout 2 pints i think) , and it hasnt leaked since, i let it sit for a day and night then drove it for bout 30 min and let sit over night and not one drop

Back