Leather cleaning and conditioning info?

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
What are the best products and methods to properly and thoroughly clean and maintain and even restore leather upholstery? What products have you guys used and how would you rate their performance?
Not sure if the brown stains that I have are from the sun or if its dirt but I think it's from the sun because it's on the back and tops of the rear seat headrests and I haven't been able to clean it off so far. I may have to dye some of the bad spots back to silver, what would you guys do?
In the second pic by the headrest you can see what appears to be a burn mark and the leather is kind of crispy feeling up there.

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

I could tell you soap and water is the best cleaner but I have never owned leather anything. The discoloring does look like it is from the sun.

That's what I am thinking. Somebody told me of a product that sounded impressive but I had no way to write it down and don't remember the name but he talked it up like it was a miracle product.

I own a custom gun leather business. My opinion and worth every penny you paid for it is stick to the basics. Saddle Soap applied in a circular motion with a soft brissle brush and rinse with a damp towel. After it is dry and I mean completely dry gently rub in a little neatsfoot oil. The proccess should take about as long as it takes to smoke a good cigar. That is per seat, 2 cigars should have you on track.

Oh and the discolorization is from sun bleaching or burrning the color out of the dye.

Last edited:
I have leather seats in my BMW too and I bought the "Tornador black gun" and I love it. You can use it on all parts ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't help myself I just ordered one, if not for anything else but to clean 2 things I find a pain or impossible to clean, the vents and the headliners. Thanks for the tip vdk2010:eek:ccasion14:

It really is.

It schould solve your problem if the brown discolorations are caused by 45 years old dirt...
I couldn't help myself I just ordered one, if not for anything else but to clean 2 things I find a pain or impossible to clean, the vents and the headliners. Thanks for the tip vdk2010:eek:ccasion14:

Good luck with it, you'll love it! I do!

I actually have the brown spots taken care of some time ago for the most part, now I just need to soften and condition them.

Well I thank Fredo for opening an old thread. A lot of good info provided second time around.

Having been a member of numerous car clubs such as the Chrysler 300 clubs, the consensus seems to be that these products deliver the best performance both in maintaining and restoring leather:

http://www.leatherique.com/

If there is someone better, I have not yet heard about them.

Great now I'm faced with choices. Pure lanolin, Swissvax Elephant wax and now this.

Do you suppose there was a silver cow???

Back