LED bulb for dash lights

Reaction score
I wanted to post this here. I have a 72 Dart that i wanted to have brighter dash lights. I found the Sylvania 168/194/2825 Signal Bulb 34717. I tried different LED bulbs i found on eBay and amazon, they did not light up the dash, but the sylvania bulbs had the most light. The dart has 3 bulbs in the dash, I only replaced 2 but the sppedo shot shows the LED lit side on the left and the regular bulb on the right. This is a quick modification that makes a visible difference, the bulb above is a drop in for any 194 bulb.

These are the really bright license plate light bulbs that are in use on Lexus BMW Etc. IMG_2940.jpgIMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

Last edited:
I went with some cheapy 194 style LED in the dash cluster on my 84 W350 crewcab. Sure lit up the dash so you could see what's happening. Only problem I'm having now, after 6 months of use, is there are about 4 that are starting to flicker on/off. Think it's the quick and cheap LED's I purchased...think it was 20 bulbs for under $10.

I'm hesitant about LEDs altogether. I have many reasons but to keep it short, I'll use the following example. The car in front of you has its brake lights on.
In the HMTB with the long strip of LEDs, how many LEDs are burnt out?
And those are factory...

Posted via Topify on Android

I'm hesitant about LEDs altogether. I have many reasons but to keep it short, I'll use the following example. The car in front of you has its brake lights on.
In the HMTB with the long strip of LEDs, how many LEDs are burnt out?
And those are factory...

I agree Stan....I only do LED's as a replacement bulb. Can you imagine how much a replacement LED tail light assembly would be for these new cars?

I'm hesitant about installing LED's too. The manufacturers/retailers promote them as being very long life, but I have seen many strips of LED's with several burnt out, on the display racks in the auto parts stores. Those LED's hadn't been there very long before burning out. No way were they lit for 100,000 hours or whatever they claim they will last. Yeah, they are expensive to replace. :(

I can see the advantages to using them in classic cars, as far as reducing the load on the alternator. In theory, you could replace all of your exterior lighting with LED's which would have a similar effect as swapping to a higher amperage alternator. Another benefit is possibly having brighter park and tail lights and signals, pure amber and red colors, etc. On some forums I've read posts from people who have installed LED's only to find they aren't as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replaced.

For dash lights they look nice because of the pure blue or turquoise colors available. I like to be able to dim my dash lights and many of these LED's don't seem to be dimable.

I'm not saying that I will never install LED's but, these are the main reasons I haven't installed them.

You know how it's the rage for all the new models to have LEDs stuck in every crevice in the front end, interior "mood" lighting, tail lights, headlamp assemblies, etc, etc ,etc? Wait a few years.......
Give me A bulb, in a socket, under a lens.
KbGzaQb.jpg

Last edited:
A thorough cleaning and or Change of your 40 year old bulbs makes your instruments a lot brighter lit for the next 40 years. Most of us won't miss the LEDs then.

Follow behind one of these trucks with LEDs after the second winter half will be not lit in a taillight assembly sealed unit, and I have heard trucker stories(fwiw) that some dot cops are wise to the percentage I think it is 25% of the total out and considered bad, now I have to do math as part of a pretrip. No thanks I will take the cheaper analog incandescent lamp that melts the snow.

I love this Forum where for much of the time common sense does prevail over being the coolest kid in the neighborhood...

Last edited:
Do these bulbs produce any more heat than the OEM style? They sure look impressive from the photo.

Usually I have to turn down the lights on the dash, too bright. And what about that my experience with LEDs is they need 12 volts when they don't have at least a certain voltage they just go out is this dimmable. I am also guessing no answer from him just a hit and gone. Also is there a more cheaper crappier instrument panel ever designed than a 72 up a body?

Usually I have to turn down the lights on the dash, too bright. And what about that my experience with LEDs is they need 12 volts when they don't have at least a certain voltage they just go out is this dimmable. I am also guessing no answer from him just a hit and gone. Also is there a more cheaper crappier instrument panel ever designed than a 72 up a body?

I turn my dash lights way down so I can the road better.

The LED lights won't dim with the rheostat type dimmer. The LED bulb draws much less current than an incandescent bulb and limiting the current with a rheostat won't do much if anything.

The newer cars have a different type of dimmer that reduces voltage rather than current and they will work with the LED.

I went from no dash lights to all factory operating 168's......I'm still tickled with factory operational dash lights.

I put this up there to help out. The majority of the replies were negative, I was just sharing my findings. I felt i got a lot of "get off my lawn" responses. I put this on the A bodies forum and the response was very different, very appreciative responses.
I tried a few different types of LED bulbs and they were all junk, put out less light than the stock bulbs. The LED that I put in were Sylvania LEDriving bulb. They are very bright, dim with the dimmer and the dash can be seen with a glance. The bulbs are 8 dollars a piece on amazon. For $24 i made the car safer to drive at night and i think it looks great.

I didn't find this negative at all. Some will find it helpful and want them a lot brighter, some will stay with bulbs when they*re back in like new condition, to my experience also in other Forums it is often overlooked that Age and dirt lead to These rather dim lighting.

Back