Lesson learned... Old Cars 101

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned yesterday. Basic Old Cars 101. I was driving the NY'er around the local area yesterday on a 4 lane highway. The engine just quit running and I was stuck in a left turn lane with no shoulder and a Jersey wall blocking me and the light turned red. No choice, I couldn't get off the road with all the traffic. After an hour, I finally got her pushed across all the lanes and parked on the shoulder across the street. I started troubleshooting. Checked the fuel system and eliminated that as a problem. The problem had to be on the spark/electrical side. It ended up being that brand new Mallory ignition coil. What I learned is that I must have an emergency parts kit that needs to STAY in the trunk consisting of a ballast resistor, ignition module, coil, cap and rotor, and a fuel pump. And the tools to replace these parts. I know the list of parts can go on... brakes, hoses, belts. Hoses and belts aren't that hard to get and there is universal hoses that can be used in an emergency. Luckily for me, I was close enough to my local Advance Auto Parts. Besides a universal performance coil, they didn't have ANY of the parts I mentioned previously on hand. And it would take 5 days to get the fuel pump. I could just imagine this happening less than a week later driving to Carlisle. What a bummer that would be! The bottom line is that driving 35 to 50 year old cars always has a risk of breaking down at any given time. If any of those parts I mentioned fails...you are going to be SOL because no one carries those common parts for our beloved classic Mopar's anymore. Don't think that it can't happen to you. It happened to me with a vital part that was a few months old. I would recommend having a small emergency box of parts and tools in your trunk. Something to think about.

Yeah but on the way to Carlisle there's enough gear heads heading to it from all directions, you wouldn't be stuck long, maybe.

you wouldn't be stuck long, maybe.
Thats a big maybe and I wouldnt want to gamble.

When I go to Carlisle I usually pack a small box of Screw drivers and pliers along with a socket set and wrenches. Extra parts ? Only on the return trip, with luck.

Thats a big maybe and I wouldnt want to gamble.

When I go to Carlisle I usually pack a small box of Screw drivers and pliers along with a socket set and wrenches. Extra parts ? Only on the return trip, with luck.

Something as simple as a $3 ballast resistor goes out on a 35-50 year old Mopar...you ain't going no where. No warning when it's going to fail and more than likely the local where ever you break down probably is not going to stock the balast resistor or the other parts I mentioned earlier. Did I mention it was 100 degrees when I broke down and the heat index was 109? Was not a nice afternoon. And I didn't have a test light... I use a multimeter... but didn't have that damn thing in the car either. I do now!

I don't go ANYWHERE without my tool case in the back...and I WILL be toting that along to Carlisle. I am glad to hear you got through that unscathed though, could have been MUCH worse....4 lane highway, speeding cars, your stuck in the middle of that.....precise recipe for disaster.

I don't go ANYWHERE without my tool case in the back...and I WILL be toting that along to Carlisle. I am glad to hear you got through that unscathed though, could have been MUCH worse....4 lane highway, speeding cars, your stuck in the middle of that.....precise recipe for disaster.

Thanks. Not to mention the derby or the 32" wheel guys could of been lurking close by while I was getting parts.

:3gears:

Something as simple as a $3 ballast resistor goes out on a 35-50 year old Mopar..

I have NEVER had one go bad. Everyone says they go bad on a regular basis but in 30 years of dealing with Mopars I havent had one go down yet............................I guess I just put the whammy on myself.:sFun_doh2:

I had a couple of them fail with my 1973 Challenger when it was a couple of years old. Other than that, I've never had one fail. No warning when they do fail...the engine just quits running immediately! I have those parts I mentioned previously in my trunk now and just knowing they are there when I turn the key is a relief to me. Besides, if I see you on the side of Penn Turnpike later this week I can possibly save the day for you and save you a walk.

:walk:

I've never had a BR fail on me either; however I did have one of the connectors pop off while driving....car went dead instantly.

I don't even carry a screw driver. None of my cars have ever failed me on the road. Polaraco, with all it's modifications, has been the best one yet. But getting rid of all that stuff helped. I have Multiport in it now with a 92 Chrysler harness joined to the 72 harness. 6 years later, I am doing the wiring again with a 78 harness. This is going to be interesting.

So why did the car stop running? Was it the Ballest? My comprehension is way down since the strokes.

The Mallory coil that was a couple of months old failed.

I definitely carry an assortment of tools with me and the previous owner of my `67 Imperial left an assortment of belts and electrical parts in the jack storage compartment. Also left a bunch of fuses and bulbs in one of the armrest compartments, not a bad idea either.

Lesson learned yesterday. Basic Old Cars 101. I was driving the NY'er around the local area yesterday on a 4 lane highway. The engine just quit running and I was stuck in a left turn lane with no shoulder and a Jersey wall blocking me and the light turned red. No choice, I couldn't get off the road with all the traffic. After an hour, I finally got her pushed across all the lanes and parked on the shoulder across the street. I started troubleshooting. Checked the fuel system and eliminated that as a problem. The problem had to be on the spark/electrical side. It ended up being that brand new Mallory ignition coil. What I learned is that I must have an emergency parts kit that needs to STAY in the trunk consisting of a ballast resistor, ignition module, coil, cap and rotor, and a fuel pump. And the tools to replace these parts. I know the list of parts can go on... brakes, hoses, belts. Hoses and belts aren't that hard to get and there is universal hoses that can be used in an emergency. Luckily for me, I was close enough to my local Advance Auto Parts. Besides a universal performance coil, they didn't have ANY of the parts I mentioned previously on hand. And it would take 5 days to get the fuel pump. I could just imagine this happening less than a week later driving to Carlisle. What a bummer that would be! The bottom line is that driving 35 to 50 year old cars always has a risk of breaking down at any given time. If any of those parts I mentioned fails...you are going to be SOL because no one carries those common parts for our beloved classic Mopar's anymore. Don't think that it can't happen to you. It happened to me with a vital part that was a few months old. I would recommend having a small emergency box of parts and tools in your trunk. Something to think about.

Just out of curiosity have you had a fuel pump fail on you while driving around? I noticed that you included that in your list of must haves. Swapping out the fuel pump is no short order task (at least it wasn't on my 383). Although I have a brand new one now, I shudder at the thought of it failing while I'm out somewhere on the road.

The point being is if it craps the bed while away from home. you have one on hand for the repair shop to get you back on the road ASAP.

That's the exact reason. Go to any parts house. No one stocks the $25 fuel pump. No one! They'll have one at a remote warehouse on the other side of the country. I just ordered one... 5 days shipping. Fuses, belts, universal hoses are pretty easy to get and you can be up and running in short order. Not the case when it comes to the ballast resistor (4 prong), ignition module, fuel pump, etc. Cap and rotor are not commonly stocked parts at most parts houses either. And if you have a lean burn ignition...forget about it. I'm just putting this discussion out there as a something to seriously ponder while you're driving your 35-50 year old classic Mopar. I hope no one has a breakdown ever.

The point being is if it craps the bed while away from home. you have one on hand for the repair shop to get you back on the road ASAP.

Relax Bucko, I was only wondering what other circumstances could/would cause a fuel pump to fail on a daily driver (other than plain old age), just trying to maybe learn a thing or two.

That's the exact reason. Go to any parts house. No one stocks the $25 fuel pump. No one! They'll have one at a remote warehouse on the other side of the country. I just ordered one... 5 days shipping. Fuses, belts, universal hoses are pretty easy to get and you can be up and running in short order. Not the case when it comes to the ballast resistor (4 prong), ignition module, fuel pump, etc. Cap and rotor are not commonly stocked parts at most parts houses either. And if you have a lean burn ignition...forget about it. I'm just putting this discussion out there as a something to seriously ponder while you're driving your 35-50 year old classic Mopar. I hope no one has a breakdown ever.

I had to get my pump from Jegs, and you are correct the Advanced Autos, Autozones and Napas of the world do not stock parts for cars older than the 1980's.

That's odd because I had to replace the fuel pump in the Monaco two years ago and the two stores I called price shopping both had it in stock. As for being prepared that should go without saying but other than us C-body owners who else has the room to take an entire extra car with them? Ok kidding aside, I would assume regular driving would alert you to problems that should be corrected long before heading off to something like Carlisle.

That's odd because I had to replace the fuel pump in the Monaco two years ago and the two stores I called price shopping both had it in stock. As for being prepared that should go without saying but other than us C-body owners who else has the room to take an entire extra car with them? Ok kidding aside, I would assume regular driving would alert you to problems that should be corrected long before heading off to something like Carlisle.

Call them today and see if they still stock the fuel pump. Chances are they don't unless it's a privately owned store. You won't get an alert to an electrical failure, they just happen. I have a small box of the essential parts that I previously mentioned. With all the room in the NY'er's trunk, I won't be pressed for room. Again, I'm just mentioning something that happened to me while driving a 35 year old car and the non-availibilty of those parts that willl keep you stuck somewhere.

Back