Let's see your air compressors

I didn't mean to Hijack the thread or cause any paranoia for Fury440. My question haz to do with my Bride and I are moving into our new to us Little Ponderosa some time around the 1st of the year. At that time I'll be hanging a new condensation and purge system with a new vertical 80 gallon tank W/ 5HP single phase 240V and az I mentioned above, assembly on the floor then testing for leakz and then hangin' it in one piece iz ah REAL PITA, Jer

I didn't mean to Hijack the thread or cause any paranoia for Fury440. My question haz to do with my Bride and I are moving into our new to us Little Ponderosa some time around the 1st of the year. At that time I'll be hanging a new condensation and purge system with a new vertical 80 gallon tank W/ 5HP single phase 240V and az I mentioned above, assembly on the floor then testing for leakz and then hangin' it in one piece iz ah REAL PITA, Jer

I don't think you hijacked it at all.

Use a kit like Fury440 did. Just please don't use rigid PVC. It's too dangerous.

I couldn't figure out the comment re PVC pipe. Looking at my picture I suspect you are talking about the two white lines running up the wall. They are actually black iron gas pipe that I had laying around and repurposed to be a drier. Here is a picture with a better view of the plumbing.
P1050344.JPG

I got the idea after watching a video from a guy down-under.
Pipe Drier Video

A close up of my connections to the compressor
P1050346.JPG

The upper hose comes from the compressor through a regulator and is set at about 90 psi. The pipe on that side is 3/4" above the connection and 1/2" below to collect water. A ball valve for a drain. At the ceiling, the 3/4" gets reduced to 1/2" for the run down to the shop output fitting. Below that is more 1/2" to another ball valve drain.
The shop feed go thru two splitter blocks. The first has another regulator to allow the output psi to set lower than 9 psi. The second splitter has a flex hose up to the hose reel, a spare port (plugged) and a third output to feed the basement workshop. That basement line terminates at another splitter block which has another regulator. This regulator needs to reduce the psi when I'm blowing out the yard irrigation system.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the system, the compressor is great and the plumbing kit made the connections dead easy.

No leaks and no PVC. :)

That's what I'm going to do for a drier system for mine.

John is right the heat will kill the PVC, don't ask how I know this except chasing it with steel pipe. I have never had it explode it just swells and leaks slowly. My system (piping) is never left pressurized.

Thankz for the clarification Fury440. Never thought about white paint on black pipe. All I saw waz PVC kinda lookin' white hooked to a 150lb+compressor hangin' off an 80 gallon tank. I'll sleep better now, Jer...YOU DONE GOOD BTW

Thankz for the clarification Fury440. Never thought about white paint on black pipe. All I saw waz PVC kinda lookin' white hooked to a 150lb+compressor hangin' off an 80 gallon tank. I'll sleep better now, Jer...YOU DONE GOOD BTW
Thanks, I was starting to second guess my self.

I just happened upon this. It's given me some real pause for thought as the compressor is identical to the Sears 5hp I have in my basement.

This is my father in laws old unit here in the garage. He bought it in around '77 and it was easily 15 years old then. Its slow to build pressure and noisy as hell. But it does the job. It's painted and worked on more Mopar's then most have.

It likely needs rebuilt but I know the size of that task.

Dennis made a bit of a cameo in this photo
20161214_224409.jpg

A little on the smaller size, I painted several bicycles with this and some scale models as well.
2016-12-24_001.jpg

The cool part about it was the use food jars for the paint, you could store paint in jars and swap them out as needed.

2016-12-24_007.jpg

We later moved up to a Badger air brush for the models with this compressor.

2016-12-24_008.jpg

Alan

a pic of mine. a walk in cooler compressor converted. refrigerant tank underneath. nice and quiet. builds great pressure. my new sandblast cabinet matches the colour I painted it 20 years ago.

100_0802.jpg

Wow! Those failure shots are the reason I have yet to do anything with this old beast, it was rescued from a wood mill in British Columbia, so was in perfect working order up until its plundering. Still the tank is stamped 1948 , the year my father was born, so it requires inspection. Soon...
WP_20161204_14_40_07_Pro.jpg

This is my father in laws old unit here in the garage. He bought it in around '77 and it was easily 15 years old then. Its slow to build pressure and noisy as hell. But it does the job. It's painted and worked on more Mopar's then most have.

It likely needs rebuilt but I know the size of that task.

Dennis made a bit of a cameo in this photo
View attachment 107823

That motor is huge!!!!! :wideyed:

Wow! Those failure shots are the reason I have yet to do anything with this old beast, it was rescued from a wood mill in British Columbia, so was in perfect working order up until its plundering. Still the tank is stamped 1948 , the year my father was born, so it requires inspection. Soon...View attachment 109548
after you rebuild it you should spin it around with the belt and pulleys against the wall. or put a guard on it for obvious reasons

Back