Let's talk starters.

New/rebuilt from parts store. '93 Dak 5.2L. Nice unit. It may, may, be the header/collector gasket I was hearing leak. I tried some new remflex gaskets that's were really thick, and the collector I kinda bunged up getting the pipe back in place. After working in the Florida sun all morning into early afternoon, with tools that I took with me to make the trip down here, travel kit, I decided to kick it over quick just as it started to pour rain. I'll take another run out this week to listen again but it sounded like the gear catching. Wasn't grinding but a definite ticking, not like I expect from a leaking gasket.

gaskets;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HME7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Starter;
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-or-toughone-starter-remanufactured-17466s/3082393-P?searchTerm=starter

Size difference;

145p832b1b38i5uzg.jpg

Last edited:
Went back out last night to the car, started up nicely. No starter noise now. Didn't do a darned thing to it. Maybe it just needed to sit. "She falls down a well, her eyes go cross. She gets kicked by a mule. They go back. I don't know." ~Randy Quaid

@71Polara383 suggested that I replace the original, still-working starter on Medina with a mini starter because I told him that I plan to regularly drive her long-distance and thus need reliable starts for her 440. I plan to follow his advice.

As @LocuMob would expect, I looked for and found this relevant old thread. I see that most (except maybe @Big_John?) similar advice — but I see no specific recommendation, which is what I was looking for.

Brands/vendors? Anyone has experience with this one: for Mopar 383-440 Hi-Torque Mini Starter w/Hardware Kit Big-Block Chrysler Dodge | eBay

Last edited:
Anything that fits the early mid 90's dakotas with the magnum engine is all you need. Don't need to spend more than what you'll find at the local parts store.

@ ayilar, go to the local idiot box, or order from summit, jegs, etc for that 90's Dakota starter. Should be less that $100.

While all of the above is true. I had a small interference issue with the terminals and the engine block on the 71 Monaco I sold. That battery cable terminal adapter in the Ebay kit would reposition the contacts and avoid the interference I encountered.

The one you are showing above is about as good as any. I have not yet had one of these fail although I have heard of others that have had a failure. Buy from a reputable seller with good feedback in the case of problems such as the seller you are showing above and it has the adaptor that helps a lot in getting the cables attached easily. You might find one a little cheaper, but the one shown by you looks pretty reasonable overall. So I am with Wyatt on this one.

I personally am tired of the old slow, heavy ones that came with these cars - just not worth it any more to me at least despite being pretty much of a purist otherwise. I do put up with the even older, slower and heavier ones yet than the original starters on our C bodies on my 1957 300C and 1960 300F though because the high torque ones are too much of a departure in sound compared to these mini starters. Do what makes you happy.

I had a block interference with the overpriced Mancini unit.
I complained.
I was ignored.
My $1.98 ebay unit fit perfectly but like said above, get the plug adaptor.

I wouldn't be afraid of picking up a junk yard unit, the only thing I have ever wrong seen with the Nippondenso starters is the solenoid plunger and contacts. Easy fix, and if you are really unsure it's easy to pop apart and lube.

The one you are showing above is about as good as any. I have not yet had one of these fail although I have heard of others that have had a failure. Buy from a reputable seller with good feedback in the case of problems such as the seller you are showing above and it has the adaptor that helps a lot in getting the cables attached easily. You might find one a little cheaper, but the one shown by you looks pretty reasonable overall. So I am with Wyatt on this one.

I personally am tired of the old slow, heavy ones that came with these cars - just not worth it any more to me at least despite being pretty much of a purist otherwise. I do put up with the even older, slower and heavier ones yet than the original starters on our C bodies on my 1957 300C and 1960 300F though because the high torque ones are too much of a departure in sound compared to these mini starters. Do what makes you happy.
They were showing up in the swap meets in the mid '80s in the Detroit area for $50 ah piece. We referred to as Lunch Box Specials back then, lol. Kinda hard to pass up even if we knew where they came from. That I think was even some what tolerated back then as long as it didn't become too prevalent. IMHO

Last edited:

I under stand where you're coming from with your C+F Steve. I''m not that pure tho' My Friend, lol. I bought 3 from the same guy when the North Oakland Mopar Club was still holding their Spring Show 'N Swap at Centerline in the south parking lot. My 300Hurst and A-100 5 window Pickup both got one and the 3rd one sat on the shelf for almost 20 yearz 'til the '61 Batwagon waz ready. The cast iron TF wouldn't work with the little starter but the original 413 was a boat anchor anyway after sitting in a back yard in Fullerton not moving for 13 years before I rescued it in '85. Questions were ask when I'd turn the key on the Hurst at 300 Club Meets back then and I'd just smile. So I replaced it with a '67 Imperial 440 and a '62 aluminum TF. No more problem. Stay well Steve, Jer

Last edited:
Both the BoaB and the Waygun have mini starters.
I ordered for a 92 Dakota with a 5.2L magnum.
The only mod I did was cut the hard rubber end between the starter connections on the harness to fit the starter's studs.
No clearance issues and rolls em over very quickly.

Last edited:
I under stand where you're coming from with your C+F Steve. I''m not that pure tho' My Friend, lol. I bought 3 from the same guy when the North Oakland Mopar Club was still holding their Spring Show 'N Swap at Centerline in the south parking lot. My 300Hurst and A-100 5 window Pickup both got one and the 3rd one sat on the shelf for almost 20 yearz 'til the '61 Batwagon waz ready. The cast iron TF wouldn't work with the little starter but the original 413 was a boat anchor anyway after sitting in a back yard in Fullerton not moving for 13 years before I rescued it in '85. Questions were ask when I'd turn the key on the Hurst at 300 Club Meets back then and I'd just smile. So I replaced it with a '67 Imperial 440 and a '62 aluminum TF. No more problem. Stay well Steve, Jer

Way to go Jer.

There is a company that makes adaptors to enable use of the hi-torque mini starters on the 413s (and other engines too) with the cast iron torqueflites now. That is why I was considering it.

That company was not out there when I did my research back then so I figured out ways to side step the problem. Got rid of the trunion too by putting a '65 tail shaft on that '62 TF and a '70 300 rear axle by just moving the spring perches 3/8" inboard on each side. A 1980 B-250 emergency brake cable and linkage could still be had from the Chrysler Warehouse back then too and it worked great after I mated the '61 parking lever to the brake cable end. I think you're starting to have some idea now of why it took me 22 years to get that beast together and moving under it's own power. BTW, I was laying plans to drive it out to Carmel for Mr. Jetts party in '08 'til I did the math on that two week trip. I think you would have loved that Beast. I did manage to thoroughly antagonize King George the following year at the spring meet in Chicago tho' and a lot of $ to just get his goat and worth every penny. Another story for another day lol, Jer

I understand regarding the King George comment Jer! I attended one of that clubs meets one time and decided I didn't want to go back ever again for that reason. The "tone" of those meets was just not for me.

You are indeed resourceful.....................

@71Polara383 suggested that I replace the original, still-working starter on Medina with (this) mini starter: for Mopar 383-440 Hi-Torque Mini Starter w/Hardware Kit Big-Block Chrysler Dodge | eBay

I had a small interference issue with the terminals and the engine block on the 71 Monaco I sold. That battery cable terminal adapter in the Ebay kit would reposition the contacts and avoid the interference I encountered.

The one you are showing above is about as good as any (...) it has the adaptor that helps a lot in getting the cables attached easily. You might find one a little cheaper, but the one shown by you looks pretty reasonable overall. So I am with Wyatt on this one.

I had a block interference with the overpriced Mancini unit.

Both the BoaB and the Waygun have mini starters.

Thank you all for the suggestion. I have purchased the mini-starter (eBay link above) for Medina. Here are pics from the listing for records: the battery cable terminal adapter to which Wyatt and Steve refer is shown in the last photo (it can also be bought separately).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16003.jpg

s-l16004.jpg

s-l16005.jpg

Thank you all for the suggestion. I have purchased the mini-starter (eBay link above) for Medina. Here are pics from the listing for records: the battery cable terminal adapter to which Wyatt and Steve refer is shown in the last photo (it can also be bought separately).

View attachment 374995

View attachment 374996

View attachment 374997

View attachment 374998

View attachment 374999
FYI,

I bought this one:

Mopar Mini Starter Terminal Relocation Kit ***THE BEST, PLEASE READ!!!*** | eBay

I will test fit it next week...
It’s going in Elwood, a 68 Fury II 4 door sedan.

FYI,

I bought this one:

Mopar Mini Starter Terminal Relocation Kit ***THE BEST, PLEASE READ!!!*** | eBay

I will test fit it next week...
It’s going in Elwood, a 68 Fury II 4 door sedan.

Having just finished installing one of these mini starters on my 71 Newport recently, I appreciate the efforts of this seller to come up with something way better than the as received set up where you need to install the harness terminals on the starter before placing it in position and then hassle getting adequate clearance along with proper routing of the harness wiring away from the exhaust pipe and block and avoiding tight angles.

Thanks for the lead as it looks like a smart solution. Let us know how it goes.

Having just finished installing one of these mini starters on my 71 Newport recently, I appreciate the efforts of this seller to come up with something way better than the as received set up where you need to install the harness terminals on the starter before placing it in position and then hassle getting adequate clearance along with proper routing of the harness wiring away from the exhaust pipe and block and avoiding tight angles.

Thanks for the lead as it looks like a smart solution. Let us know how it goes.
Will do!

Back