License plates ,dealer frames, and dealer badges

Just a suggestion here
I myself have many,plates,frames and badges. When I go to swap meets I've noticed they are the most asked about parts. I really don't like to sell them outright ,but would trade for what I need for my cars. It would nice to have a section dedicated to the buy,sell,trade of vintage Chrysler plates and frames from all states and countries.

I dont think there would be much selling going on --- not worth a whole forum -- and it could be included in the exterior parts section already

If anyone has Griffith Motors, Denver, Colorado plate frames, I'm keen on buying a set.
Believe the dealership is long gone, the original owner of my Imperial purchased the car there.

@hergfest some serious money hanging on these walls. Considering that a single frame is about 30 bucks on ebay, a set more than 70.. Don't know how much they're asking on swap meets though

Trade me something good

9B92170A-D7C0-4193-83AE-11930AFAA56E.jpeg

I'm surching for two plate frames from Mashak Motors, Van Nuys. My Chrysler 300L was sold there in '65 to Ron, the first owner who worked there as a mechanic.
I would be very happy if someone had this and sold it to me...

As for the dealer license plate frames rather than attached name plates, I'd always wondered about that. When a classmate's father opened an Exxon station, who had his wife's '64 T-bird parked beside it (with a CA frame on it), I asked about the frame. At that time, only CA cars seemed to have them.

He replied that CA state law would not allow dealers to affix any "permanent" plate to the vehicles, as the selling dealer. Therefore, the license plate frame was their normal mode of ID. That seemed a bit unusual, but as most dealer plates were metal and usually affixed with screws, meaning the sheet metal would be pierced, permanently, then it might have had to do with the generally salty atmosphere in many CA population areas?

LOTS of history in those license plate frames and dealer plates!

CBODY67

image.jpeg
I'm surching for two plate frames from Mashak Motors, Van Nuys. My Chrysler 300L was sold there in '65 to Ron, the first owner who worked there as a mechanic.
I would be very happy if someone had this and sold it to me...

I have one,but it's on my 62 300 that was sold there. I will be on the look out for you.

As for the dealer license plate frames rather than attached name plates, I'd always wondered about that. When a classmate's father opened an Exxon station, who had his wife's '64 T-bird parked beside it (with a CA frame on it), I asked about the frame. At that time, only CA cars seemed to have them.

He replied that CA state law would not allow dealers to affix any "permanent" plate to the vehicles, as the selling dealer. Therefore, the license plate frame was their normal mode of ID. That seemed a bit unusual, but as most dealer plates were metal and usually affixed with screws, meaning the sheet metal would be pierced, permanently, then it might have had to do with the generally salty atmosphere in many CA population areas?

LOTS of history in those license plate frames and dealer plates!

CBODY67

You mean plate frames are only on west coast cars?

Hergfest,impressive frame collection. Will be in touch and will do some trading!

Last edited:
In Michigan a license plate frame is deemed illegal if it covers over any text or numbers of the plate. I’d say 80% of dealer frames here are illegal but you still see them all over the place. Same goes for those covers whether clear or tinted over the whole plate. Another nit-pik item to get stopped for at 2:00 am.

How does one learn where his car was sold originally?

Talk to the first owner ;)
I was glad to find a registration card from 1979 under the front seat. With the name and adress on it I found the new adress out. Wrote a letter with some actual pictures and my mail adress. Some weeks later Ron contacted me by mail ( he was 83! at that time).
We had some good conversations and he told me, that he changed AM to FM, put a cruise control and AC (he forgot to order) in.

" Ive got a few...these are just the Washington plates/frames. I’ve got another wall with Oregon and two walls for California. Always buying frames/plates if anyone has any for sale " ....

I looked for 10 plus years for a Triangle Motors frame from McMinnville Oregon . Couldn't locate one, sold the car.

Suburban Dodge in Duncansville PA is another. I searched hard for 13 years for a frame, NOTTA ....!

In Michigan a license plate frame is deemed illegal if it covers over any text or numbers of the plate. I’d say 80% of dealer frames here are illegal but you still see them all over the place. Same goes for those covers whether clear or tinted over the whole plate. Another nit-pik item to get stopped for at 2:00 am.

Texas got excited about that about 10 years ago. Most dealers put plastic frames on the cars they sold. So after the "new rules", the dealers would send the new owners a letter stating that when they got their new plates, they should discard the plastic frames in order to be in compliance with state law. About a year or so after the brou-haha, it was back to normal with the plastic frames being in normal use on all vehicles. Allegedly the newer frames were in compliance.

Funny how some legislators get all excited about things one year. Next time around, it's forgotten about, as if it never happened . . . or needed to be enforced.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You mean plate frames are only on west coast cars?

Didn't mean to imply that. Most of the frames we saw, growing up on the US80 (later I-20) corrridor, the bulk of the frames we saw were from CA. Or at least the ones that were more noticeable. In an era when the Beach Boys' were "new" and CA was the place to be for cars, surf, and such. I suspect that more of the northern owners were driving on US66/I-40 rather than "the southern east-west route"?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Texas got excited about that about 10 years ago. Most dealers put plastic frames on the cars they sold. So after the "new rules", the dealers would send the new owners a letter stating that when they got their new plates, they should discard the plastic frames in order to be in compliance with state law. About a year or so after the brou-haha, it was back to normal with the plastic frames being in normal use on all vehicles. Allegedly the newer frames were in compliance.

Funny how some legislators get all excited about things one year. Next time around, it's forgotten about, as if it never happened . . . or needed to be enforced.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This has been a long time law here driven more by law enforcement. The frames, especially the plastic ones, often cover the state’s name, the year and tabs in the corners.

This has been a long time law here driven more by law enforcement. The frames, especially the plastic ones, often cover the state’s name, the year and tabs in the corners.
I’ve used plate frames here on Michigan for 50 years without any issues.

Sometimes, it seems that some obscure laws are used by "some" to initiate what I term "customer contact calls" on drivers. In TX, there are some. Like turn signals should be operating 100' BEFORE the vehicle changes direction. 60mph = 88ft/second, so that's effectively 1 seconds' worth of flash at 70mph. Another was "dirty license plate", but that was struck-out/changed in later versions of the same vehicle code.

If it's "on the books", whether it's enforced can be variable. Only way to learn of these things is to read the codes online. Some interesting little "things" in there, sometimes.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back