Life in the Philippines

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My wife and 10 year old son left for the Philippines on the 10th and arrived on the 12th. First time back for both of them in 5 years. My son now being 10 I felt would see the place much different from when he was 5. Food for one as he is now more picky. Accommodations now looking primitive to him compared to home. No WiFi so extremely basic entertainment if any. My wife, of course, can live this lifestyle easily.

So I just talked to him and he informs me he has been throwing up and is with diarrhea for the last day. Even threw up on his cell phone and in bed. Well you'll see it isn't a bed. Milk over there is powdered and he doesn't like the taste. He is a big milk drinker. So now it is only bottled water for him. He spent the first two days at his young Aunt's house in Binangonan which has A/C. Then his Mom wanted to go up into the mountains where other family members lived.

This place is basic and primitive. Squat toilet and no toilet paper which means you wash yourself off with water and your hands. I asked Brendan how it was and he says it smells. LOL. That is why I have never shaken hands with any Filipinos when I am over there. I suspect my son my have contaminated himself by not getting his hands absolutely clean. They were concerned for him and his not eating that a small chicken was killed just for him to eat. That is an unbelievably big deal considering how precious food is there. I hope he ate it. He misses my cooking already other than Jolliebee.

This place he is at is a bamboo house, pretty much open, with a metal corrugated roof. It is hot. It has been raining. The winds are strong. The place is surrounded by mud. He is not liking it and wants to go back to his Aunt's house today after two days. My wife wanted to stay one week. He has to stay until the 9th of August.

Pictures below of people who I have no idea who they are but they are my wife's relatives. The older folks are actually younger than me and in their early 60s. As you can see the one woman looks far older. Life can be brutal out there in the boonies and as my son found out there is nothing to do at all. He isn't into playing with the smelly goat or the semi-wild and pregnant boar. My son is in only one picture sleeping. My wife is holding some sort of white banana whatever. The rest are relatives and what the place looks like. This is why I stay in hotels.
67376825_324185435203087_156715187603243008_n.jpg
66657975_395867541048839_8496489280598704128_n.jpg
67064349_740072796411472_6029705235394461696_n.jpg
67080710_473380916780463_4177711613622616064_n.jpg
66714334_439873933262627_4658423809592786944_n.jpg

66750874_1348575988657643_8473718154269294592_n.jpg

I believe it might be good therapy for every millenial (at least those that act like the stereotypes) to have to stay over there for at least 6 months and then come back home. It would make adults out of them in short order more than likely. :D

I believe it might be good therapy for every millenial (at least those that act like the stereotypes) to have to stay over there for at least 6 months and then come back home. It would make adults out of them in short order more than likely. :D

Or enlist in the U.S. Army or USMC.....

:usflag:

My dentist is from there, sadly she's getting ready to retire been going to her since before i was born

Wow, that's incredible. Looking at those pictures reminds me of pictures that my dad had and showed me from his time in World War II when he was stationed in the Philippines in laity.

c_oc=AQmQY03no24LS-4Y5fpC6rvQkGJ46SGL5rfsVBG_j-ukqBX0SlgRdQBQ_nvPBZ3L-VQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fbos1-2.jpg

Well, it certainly makes it understandable why people will do anything to get in the United States. Air conditioning, indoor plumbing and electricity everywhere. People here take such things for granted.

Wow, that's incredible. Looking at those pictures reminds me of pictures that my dad had and showed me from his time in World War II when he was stationed in the Philippines in laity.

My father landed at Leyte and fought through Leyte before landing at Lingyan Gulf north of Manila later. He is the guy on the right. His best buddy is on the left. The closet he ever got to saying bad things about the war was that his best buddy was killed horribly in the mountains of Leyte. That would have been either the Battle of Breakneck Ridge or the Battle of Kilay Ridge as he wouldn't say. Apparently his buddy, a farm boy from Iowa and my father a city boy from Manhattan, was a Dr. Doolittle with animals. They flocked to him naturally.
Leyte.JPG

...10 year old son
The older folks are actually younger than me and in their early 60s.

You had a kid in your 50's? I'm not even 40 yet, and there's no way I'm dealing with any more children at this age. Kudos to you, and your strong swimmers.

Well, it certainly makes it understandable why people will do anything to get in the United States. Air conditioning, indoor plumbing and electricity everywhere. People here take such things for granted.

I have always said that the only reason the Philippines is still populated is because it is an island and therefore you need to fly off which takes money the people don't have. I have to say the people, her friends, are all very nice and treat me as one of their own here in the Bay Area. Most times I am the only white guy at a party unless a big party and there might be three of us. The Fourth of July Party I went to was all my wife's Filipina friends and there was a ton of food.

The one time with some of her family in the Philippines they were very protective of me when walking around with my wife in the boonies as I was probably the only white guy out of tens of thousands. I am Uncle Mike to all of them now.

Friend of mine lives over there and the States. He's around 65 + and went there and got himself a 29 year old bride.

At least in Thailand where my wife is from (and we are headed back there in a few weeks for vacation) they have toilet paper. Most of the rest is about the same. My 15 yr old daughter is going to be miserable, but my 13 yr old son will try about anything so he'll be ok. We go back about every 3-4 yrs and visit the in-laws.
Its amazing to go from 5star hotels in the cities to a few pieces of rusty steel roofing and open sides in the country.
You learn fast never to drink anything but sealed bottled water.
I love it there as far as climate and food, but not sure I would want to live there full time.

Friend of mine lives over there and the States. He's around 65 + and went there and got himself a 29 year old bride.

I have met her a few times in the last few years.
First time she was very shy and very pretty. Second time spoke English rather well and was much more open and friendly and even more pretty.

At least in Thailand where my wife is from (and we are headed back there in a few weeks for vacation) they have toilet paper. Most of the rest is about the same. My 15 yr old daughter is going to be miserable, but my 13 yr old son will try about anything so he'll be ok. We go back about every 3-4 yrs and visit the in-laws.
Its amazing to go from 5star hotels in the cities to a few pieces of rusty steel roofing and open sides in the country.
You learn fast never to drink anything but sealed bottled water.
I love it there as far as climate and food, but not sure I would want to live there full time.

There is toilet paper in places where their happens to be some sort of treatment system so that would be cities and many towns. Where they are in the mountains you are basically consigned to what we would call an outhouse over a septic tank. My wife says toilet paper would clog these toilets up quickly.

Well I am 65 and my wife 39. However I didn't go there to get a wife but just to vacation, scuba dive, and have fun partying. That went on for 10 years and then I met the one who would become my wife. Before her I had met dozens upon dozens.

Now my wife has a friend who is married to someone who did go the the Philippines to find a wife. She happen to also have an 8 year old son from some Filipino. He is very well off with many large real estate holdings in San Francisco to go along with his three houses. My wife met her outside my office while she was waiting for her son in Kumon. She was all by herself and apparently knew nobody. Being Filipina my wife started talking to her and they became friends. She now has a 2 year old son by this fellow. The age difference is at least 30 years with him around my age. Nice guy but seems a bit controlling. Her older son had strict rules at home, stricter than normal, but is a good kid. She is not allowed to drive anywhere at night. What she eats is laid out by him and what I consider very bad she is not allowed to go back to the Philippines to visit her family. Her son can go but she can't. She visited my wife two days before my wife left and you could tell she was affected by that restriction.

My one and only experience with the Filipino culture was not good. All it takes is one bad apple, I'm sure there are wonderful, caring, loving Filipino parents. I had the displeasure of being witness to a Filipino family dynamic that ended in the suicide of their 12 year old son due to the discipline/torture he was subjected to. His parents (father, father's girlfriend, and her mother) defended their actions claiming that is their culture. Authorities wouldn't/didn't do a thing.

Last edited:
My one and only experience with the Filipino culture was not good. All it takes is one bad apple, I'm sure there are wonderful, caring, loving Filipino parents. I had the displeasure of being witness to a Filipino family dynamic that ended in the suicide of their 12 year old son due to the discipline/torture he was subjected to. His parents (father, father's girlfriend, and her mother) defended their actions claiming that is their culture. Authorities wouldn't/didn't do a thing.

Just an excuse just look at the Turpin parents, in California, who basically imprisoned their 13 children.

All the Philipinos I met over there were really very nice. Of course, I was an American sailor in the Subic Bay, Olongapo area, but I did hang with some really neat people. Yes, many of them are looking for a way here, but I've not met many sour ones.

Back