Light Switch unknown wire

66furys

Reaction score
I have matched up the new wires to my old switch that still needs to be ohmed, but I find a purple or violet with a white trace, that is on a spade on the outside of the switch. I cannot find anything on the diagrams.....a ground?? Anyone know what this one is? Danka

"On the outside of the switch".... Are you referring to the metal case of the switch? If so, then yes, it is a ground

I looked at the FSM wiring diagram and it's B1 on the switch. Goes to one of the "welded splices".

8-108 in the FSM.

If you are using something else, toss it in the trash and use the wiring diagram in the FSM. Get one here if you don't have one.... Service Manuals – MyMopar

Bigbadjohn is correct on using the service manual diagrams.....nothing else seems to be as good.....did ask my son to get me a Mitchells copy, but no joy on that yet. However, the B1 is the main black feed but this one is unusual in that it is outside the main connector. And to Devins question, there are two spades on the metal frame....one would be a ground, but the other seems to have a fine wire back to the rheostat. But, I can get the rheo to work from R term to the I without using this unknown wire. It is violet with white trace. I can only find one area on the diagram using this color, and it is not near this circuit, so plan on taking the OEM harness apart and see if I can figure out where it winds up. I dont remember having this much trouble trying to decipher the Navy power plant manuals for the nuclear ships I worked on....but I was young then.

I have found the use of violet/wh trace for the wiper operation. Also, this wire of concern from the light switch exterior, is paired with a violet, taped together, and runs into the bundle going to the tail, down the kick panel behind the park brake mechanism. This makes no sense that this wire from perhaps the rheostat goes to the tail, unless it has something to do with dimming the rear dome lights at the two roof pillars??? Any help appreciated, as I continue.

I have found the use of violet/wh trace for the wiper operation. Also, this wire of concern from the light switch exterior, is paired with a violet, taped together, and runs into the bundle going to the tail, down the kick panel behind the park brake mechanism. This makes no sense that this wire from perhaps the rheostat goes to the tail, unless it has something to do with dimming the rear dome lights at the two roof pillars??? Any help appreciated, as I continue.
If I'm reading your post correctly, looking at the diagram, the violet with white tracer is the power for the switches. They connect at the "welded splices" which is just a junction of wires that have been connected to together (by a spot welding technique I believe). They are power and not something controlled by the switches. They also provide power to the reverse light switch for example.

BigJohn, you are genius, thank you. Combined with your thoughts, I have now found that the console wires run with the tail section wires, then turn across the floor pan to the console.....I had no idea. And, yes, the backup light switch that powers the reverse lights, are violet with trace and violet. So, you were right on. I still have to figure out how this works....not sure to me why the backup lights would have anything to do with this odd connection on the outside of the light switch.....but evidently.....does. thanks

Back