Liland radiator for a 66 new yorker

Old 66 Yorker

Reaction score
Don't do it, does NOT fit. Not even close.

Upper hose is 6 inches farther from center. Overall width is much greater...

Liland contact links are disabled and after spending 400 to rockauto on it I will end up getting 150 bucks back for returning it.

Currently I've got my blown rad (rock damage to the front) in a proper shop getting recored. Costs a whack more but after this love touch I'm a bit gun shy of aftermarket rads...and rockauto.

What these aftermarket people don’t realize is that there are about 10 different radiators available within a model year. I tried to start a matrix once on just ‘68 and gave up. Based on engine size, a/c or not. Automatic or manual..... that’s just for C bodies. And yes the radiator hoses were in different spots.

Which part number did you order?

Just curious,
CBODY67

332aa3r, 3 core. Same part number for the 2 core and same dimensions except depth listed on rockauto.

Liland site also gives the two rads with the same part number..

I wonder what kind of problem you'd have with a Cold Case? If you went that route! Good Luck

A 332 3-row is what I have in my '70 Monaco 383 a/c car. Same number goes back to '67 and probably a few years forward, as I recall. A 2-row and 3-row would have the same dimensions as the end plate of the 2 and 3 row cores is the same width.

Our '66 Newport has the round-top design, with an upper hose location that might vary a bit from the square-top '67 and later radiators. Which would generate a possibly different molded upper hose part number or a different "cut at" mark for correct fitment. Seems like the '66 round-top upper hose connection was more toward the rh side of the center than the later square-tops and their more rh-end host connection?

Wondering if Liland might have combined the '67+ radiator application with the '65-'66 application as they both mounted the same and were the same width (26" in the 332's case)?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The liland mounting is much wider than my stock, I am kind of wondering if the 66vwas a one off,..like the fuel tank. Only the 66 fits a 66 tank.

To be honest, I'm more peeved by the crappy service from rockauto in this situation than anything else.

As things continue to evolve, I'm more inclined to beleive that Rock Auto is more of a broker than an actual stocking jobber/wholesaler? I know that they have regional fulfillment operatives that work for them rather than owning them out-right. In the orientation of decreasing shipping times and related charges to customers. To me, their strong suit is their catalog and availability of many brands, which I'll shop and then see if I can get them locally.

CBODY67

The liland mounting is much wider than my stock, I am kind of wondering if the 66vwas a one off,..like the fuel tank. Only the 66 fits a 66 tank.

To be honest, I'm more peeved by the crappy service from rockauto in this situation than anything else.

Buying a new radiator is almost always a big disappointment for our 50+ year old vehicles since they rarely fit right.

The only real option these days as long as your top tank is OK, is to have a competent radiator shop recore yours (competent radiator shops are going away unfortunately since most radiators on new cars for the last 30 years have been using aluminum radiators that are throw aways and replace varieties). If yo don't have a good top tank, try to find a good used radiator and go with one of those to get recored.

The competent shop will use your mounting panels and the top tank and bottom tank if still OK or replace the bottom tank as needed and put in a new core. If you live in an area where temperatures can get high and/or your vehicle has working a/c, you would be wise to order a high efficiency core as well - those are distinguished by their high fin density that make for much more effective cooling than stock. Just keep them clean by changing the anitfreeze/coolant on a regular basis so rust does not form and accumulate since such cores tend to have smaller tubes with high fin count to achieve the better than stock cooling performance. Then they will perform well for a long time.

Then they also just fit right in place.

The downside, they cost around $500 for a 26" width and 3 rows of tubes. But to me they are worth every penny in the long run.

I share your assessment of Rock Auto as they are OK to use when buying most new replacement parts but when you have problems, everything is computer driven and it is virtually impossible to talk with a customer service representative when you need one.

After some experience wih them, I went back to using the better local parts stores where if you get a wrong part, you will know it when you go to pick it up or if shipped to you and a problem occurs, you can take the part back to one of their stores and get a refund or replacement - no struggling when you can't talk to someone or having to ship a part back to them. What a hassle that is and not worth it to me at least. I will pay a little more for customer service and convenience because it is well worth it.

That's about what I am doing, rad is at the bonafide rad shop getting a tuck and lift..think I'm going to just mount this other pretty but useless rad on my shop wall. You never know..I might find a car it really fits ))

(Wondering, now, if the incorrect radiator was in the "right box"?)

Why not get some pics of it with noted dimensions and re-sell it on here?

As things continue to evolve, I'm more inclined to beleive that Rock Auto is more of a broker than an actual stocking jobber/wholesaler? I know that they have regional fulfillment operatives that work for them rather than owning them out-right. In the orientation of decreasing shipping times and related charges to customers. To me, their strong suit is their catalog and availability of many brands, which I'll shop and then see if I can get them locally.

CBODY67

I like using them as a base price. For BASIC ****, I'll buy from them, but I use more specialized sources for major expenses. Shipping problematic parts sux. Rock professes to have a few warehouses, which I believe, but despite the existence of these holding units, I suspect your assessment is pretty right on.

Back