Long winded but I had to say it

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
44 years ago in Early January 1970 a lady and her husband walked into their local Dodge Dealer to order a 1970 Dodge Polara convertible. He picked out the particulars but she picked out the color, after all , it was her car. A convertible girl by nature they traded in her early 60s convertible, all because they had heard this was to be the last year for the full size Dodge in a rag top offering.
A hair dresser by trade she hardly left the house and kept her convertible in this garage, in this bay with pride.

IMG_9981.jpg

The car was ordered with a 383-2 engine but it was ordered with a towing package. After all this lady in her forties enjoyed water skiing and this car would tow their boat when needed.

187134 1971.jpg

For the next several years they used the car sparingly and around 1989 it was stored in their lake house garage .

IMG_9987.jpgIMG_9988.jpg

Until 2004 when they decided to sell it because they just didnt use it. The 47,000 miles on the odometer was hardly enough for her but she reluctantly sold the car anyway. They reached out to their local Chrysler dealer who they considered a friend and he paid them the paltry sum of $1,600.00 for her prized car. He quickly flips it to an antique dealer who puts the car in the Carlisle car corral for all to see.

187134 2004  right front.jpg

Thats where I come in. ...... skip the particulars I pay $10,500. for my dream car and get home with the title still with the original owners name on it. I call information but what are the odds they still live in the same house after 34 years? Well as it turns out, no one leaves the hills of Pennsylvania and theve been there since 1952.
I call and she is ecstatic, elated to hear about her convertible and that it is doing well. We talked about the buying and selling of the car, how she cried for three days after selling it and hoped one day to see it again...

We exchange Christmas cards, well wishes and I get a letter in the mail from them with the original bill of sale for the car. Unbelievable!

The following July ( 2005 ) on the way to Carlisle my family and I drive the extra two hours to meet the people who ordered my dream car and meet the only lady who shares the passion as strong as I do.

187134 2005  Gillams David and Dave.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

We spent the day with the nice couple , had a late lunch and went on our way. We did get back in 2006 but never did get back after that until this year. Sure, we shared Christmas cards and brief phone calls but it wasnt the same.....

More in the next post

IMG_9981.jpg

187134 1971.jpg

IMG_9987.jpg

IMG_9988.jpg

187134 2004  right front.jpg

187134 2005  Gillams David and Dave.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

THIS ^^^^^^^ Is what it is all about !!! great story, great pics, I will be awaiting the next episode!!!

This year I felt the need to go out again for a visit, simply compelled for no other reason than I had to. Diane and I attended the Mopars at Maple Grove show the last weekend of May. We left early to drive the three hours to visit our old friend. When we arrived in the tiny town we weren't sure what we'd find. Upon arrival at her house we were welcomed with open arms. She had retired and now widowed ( Bob passed early this year) she was excited to see us at her door and in her house. For the next few hours she walked down memory lane going through photo albums and telling us about her life.
It was now early evening and past dinner time she wanted a ride in the convertible. After all , its been 11 years since she has ridden in her car. So we headed outside...

IMG_9364.jpg

she couldnt believe how well the car looked but knew immediately that I had changed something. Even at 86 she knew the car had different wheels, immediately but liked them better because they were "snazzy".

IMG_9367.jpgIMG_9369.jpg

We went for dinner at one of her favorite spots. (She had the shrimp) Afterwards it was back to her place for a late evening of gabbing. We promised to come back soon and we left after spending 7 hours with our lonely friend.

Come July I we planned on going back out to visit. We went the day before the Carlisle show and this time our friend was expecting us. Anxiously awaiting us she had turned down plans with friends to spend the day with us and her car. She wanted to take us to her lake house where she hadnt been in three years. Health and age had kept her away. We stopped for breakfast and an on the way diner ....

( shes wearing her C body shirt)

20150708_104229.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

I took the opportunity of snapping some photos of where the polara had spent much of its life after we arrived at the cabiin...

IMG_9387.jpgIMG_9393.jpg

The boat ramp where the lady and her car spent much of their time

IMG_9398.jpg

After several hours at her cottage we headed out for a ride to dinner.....happier she couldnt be

20150708_173433.jpg20150708_173422.jpg

Chapter three next post

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

20150708_104229.jpg

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9387.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

20150708_173433.jpg

20150708_173422.jpg

Back in her home town it was time to take our friend home...

IMG_9401.jpgIMG_9403.jpg

We spent at least 12 hours with Adleen that day and what a day it was. This 86 year old lady was as sharp as a tack, all her wits about her and full of stories. How was I to know this was the last time I would see my friend?
A week ago we got the call that Adleen had passed. Apparently she had asked her closest friend to call us and let us know what happened.

I HAD to go to the funeral with the car that I affectionately call Adleen and have since that first phone call.

IMG_9975.jpgIMG_9969 (1024x683).jpg

I felt compelled to share the story of a person, a lady who loved the 1970 Dodge Polara Convertible as much as I do. AND to say when I hear those say " they are only a caretaker of a car until the time comes that they must part with it" I now fully understand the meaning of that quote ...

Thanks for the memories...

IMG_9979.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

IMG_9969 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_9979.jpg

Although I knew much of the story your retelling it really hit home and was enjoyable to read. Although the end of the story was inevitable it is still hard to take.

I saw where it was going too. Bravo Dave, well done. A fine tribute in the memory of a fine lady. R.I.P. Adleen.

Last edited:
Dave I feel it was your destiny to own this car. Your compassion made a lady very happy, and this old car guy moved.

There is something different, and special, about Mopars and their owners.

You never know, just by taking a chance, how lives will be enhanced!

Wow, she looked great for 86. Sorry for your loss, I know you will miss her, but you'll always have the knowledge you made her very happy, and gave her a new friendship in her later years.

Very cool marker at the cemetery.

I loved the story and the pic's, what a beautiful thing you did for her if only everyone was as thoughtful and reached out to others in similar ways what a wonder world it would be

This may be the most meaningful post I have ever read on this site.

Good on you Sir.

Now that is an incredible series of events and a memorable (and for me an emotional) tribute to a lonely old lady with excellent taste in automobiles. You obviously made her life a little more rich. And now my hope is that she is reunited with the man she loved in her life. It also tells us a lot about your character to give of yourself to help someone else in the hardest time of her life probably and relive her dream vehicle with all its memories. Bravo.

Thanks for sharing the whole story, Dave.

I'm glad it's you who is taking care of her car now...

Back