Looking for advice + id these rims

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
When it comes to wheels I have zero knowledge or familiarity with anything that isin't a plain steel wheel.

I'm told that these are 14" x 5.5. What are they, and would they have been a factory or dealer option for a '67 Monaco?

wheels.jpg

I can't use anything with more than I think 4.5" backspace / offset. Where are the holes for the lugs? Do those covers come off? Can I put my regular hubcaps on those?

Also, what would be a "good' price for that set?

On the inner lowest section of the rim itself, there should be some stampings as to size (as 14x5JK or similar) plus the Chrylser Pentastar stamp IF they came on a car from the factory. Ford had some very similar wheels, with the Ford Oval stamp. IF they were aftermarket from Motor Wheel, then no OEM stampings in addition to the size stamp. Might be a date stamp, too?

The center domes do some off from the rear. A retainer, a "screw", and the dome.

According to the Dodge dealership book, "Wheel Covers" were standard, "Deluxe Wheel Covers" and "Simulated Mag wheel covers (14" tires req.)" were optional. Also optional were "Chrome plated steel road wheels (N/A w/disk brakes)"

Here's what's stamped on the rims in question:

rims.jpg

I have some 14" x 5 rims (plain steel rims) with that same symbol or trade mark (what is that?) that I'm pretty sure were on my '73 Satellite but maybe that trade mark by itself doesn't make it a MoPar rim?

As best I can grab from the dealership book, these are the optional wheel covers and rims:

rim-1.jpg
rim-2.jpg
rim-3.jpg

Last edited:
There's a '67 Coronet for sale on Haggerty with these wheels:

rim-4.jpg

Seems to be the same type of rim? Were these 1967 only? If this was available on a Coronet would they also have been available on a Monaco / Polara?

Would the fender tag indicate the type of rim?

Last edited:
Those are Magnum 500 wheels, of course.
Being completely chrome distinguishes them from the mid-70s versions, which were more silver-colored and/or without a chromed rim - the later ones used a brushed trimring instead. (pic below)
There is a subtle but distinct difference when you know what to recognize.

I cannot speak to the question on the covers on the lugnut holes - the picture doesn't have enough resolution.

Those should have a lot less backspace than 4.5", they should be 3.75" or so.

Could you put wheelcovers on them? Maybe, if they don't hit the center area of the rim.
But the bigger question would be - will the chrome cause them to come off more easily?

As for what they are worth? 14x5.5 isn't a terribly popular size, at least not for C-bodies. Might sell to an A-body guy if he has upgraded to the larger 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

1674782854165.jpeg

Last edited:
14 x 5.5 seems to be the default size for at least '67 Dodge, probably Plymouth also (the large cars). Don't know about the Chryslers. Seems to me that wagons got 15", maybe anything with 440 + A/C also got 15" ?

The "Magnum 500" rim seems to have been used by MoPar and Ford. Not sure why or how.

Yes, I'd be looking for more like 3.5 or 3.75" BS but I think I can go as much as 4.5 on my fronts before the tires hit the tie rod.

Maybe these are original MoPar if they're 14" rims? Maybe nobody made these as aftermarket / reproduction in 14" size?

I have some new Hankook Kinergy 215-75-14 white wall and I'm looking to get a second set of rims for them (I'd like to keep my current G78-14 Uniroyal's on their rims).

Would a WW look ok on these Magnums? Or maybe it's not the right look?

I'm told the Magnums (the rims in question, see photo in first post) came off a '72 Challenger.

Last edited:
For the 1965-68 C-body Chryslers, the standard size wheel was 14x5.5. HD/police/trailer pkg wheel was 14x6.0, but just a normal black steel wheel. Wagons had a 6-ply rated option on the 9.00x14 tires with 14x6.5" steel wheels. 15" black steel wheels ONLY with factory power front disc brake option.

IF you have G78-14 tires, they have aged-out of being road worthy, even if they still have good tread on them. Unless they are repros.

There were only two sizes of 14" Magnum 500s, 14x5.5 and 14x6.0. Whether Ford or Chrysler (which have the same 4.50" bolt circle).

Probably more B-bodies came with the Magnum 500s than C-bodies, I suspect. You can check the Chrysler parts book to see where the 14x6s were used on Chrysler products.

Ford used the 15x7 Magnum 500s on many higher-horsepower Mustangs, with 4.25" backspacing. Chrysler NEVER did use that size on anything, from the factory, circa late 1960s into the earlier 1970s, generally. Although those 15x7 Magnum 500s sure do look good on the '68-'70 Chargers, they are really Ford-spec repro Magnum 500s. But the 14x6 Magnum 500s also look good on the B-body Chrysler products, too.

On your wheels, the "JK" stamping designates the style and height of the bead area of the wheel. Significant for wheel history, but as all wheels were of that bead configuration by that point in time, not a big deal for anything, other than being what it is.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

These were optional on 1967 and 1968
14x5.5 were available on b bodies
14x6 were available on C bodies

When I see these rims for sale in this condition (For $350 for set of 4 first pic):

s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg

And yet I see others with no rust on the outer part I'm wondering why did these rust so bad in that area? Was it not chromed or was it painted or what? How do you sand blast that to clean it up without messing up the center part? Compare the center cover in the second pic with the rims in the photo of the first post.

Or should I just give up trying to ID these rims to figure out their exact original source because there were far too many of these made with various different constructions?

Would an actual "magnum 500" rim sold on a dodge or plymouth have had a different center cap (with logo?) or just the generic circle that I see on a lot of these? (I don't even see anything in the second pic, is it missing something?)

I understand that some of the early mag wheels had the center mounting plate rivited (not welded) to the wheel? Wouldn't that be a source of air leaks (and questionable long-term durability / strength) ?

Last edited:
No logos on the center caps, for any OEM Magnum 500 wheel. The ones sold by Motor Wheel, it seems, had a crossed-flag image in the middle of the center cap. There WAS an image in the recessed portion of the center cap . . . a thin circle with a few thicker segments on it, as I recall. Maybe some stick-on center emblems in the repro world?

The later model Magnum 500s only had chromed centers, not the outer rims. The paint was mainly to prevent rust in the earlier years of the wheels' life. It was covered by a trim ring on the later versions.

AMC had some Magnum 500s as OEM options in the earlier 1970s. Centers were painted, not chromed, and the outer parts of the rim were black-painted, with a center cap like the Chrysler wheels, but probably NOT exactly the same. Maybe a hair taller?

As for rust removal, you can use the electrolysis method to remove the rust. A few YouTube videos on how to do that. Takes about a day per wheel? Do it in your backyard, weather permitting.

I have (more than occasionally) immersed or soaked items in muriatic acid (sometimes rather concentrated, sometimes not). Wow does it clean out your nose hairs. But the items didn't have portions that were plated or had a surface finish that I didn't necessarily want to mess up like these mag wheels do. So I'm not sure how an electrolysis or acid bath would be the best way to handle those types of rims in that condition.

When I soaked the Road Wheels in vinegar, it did not harm the chrome at all. It softened the silver paint a bit, it required elbow grease to take the silver off.
But it decimated the black wheel paint, as the pic I linked to shows.

I don't know how the black paint in the spokes of a Mag 500 would respond.

For me, another bonus was that half of the basement smelled like dill pickles during the project. :thumbsup:

I have the wheels now. 5 rims, 4 with center caps. $250 Canadian (that's about $190 US). The guy I got them from is restoring a '68 Satellite (and they're making full trunk floor pans and interior floor pans for them!).

mag-wheel.jpg

From what I understand, pre '69 wheels were chrome plated (rim and center). But '69 and later (how much later?) the center part (and maybe the rim also?) was stainless and had trim rings (because the rim was painted black?). So if they were really stainless, I would expect that (a) a magnet would indicate that, and (b) there'd be no rust on the backside. But all the ones I see for sale the backside is pretty rusty.

For mine, a magnet tells me that no part of these are stainless (but the center cap is only weakly attracted so maybe that's pot metal?).

Is there a way to read a date code on these? I'm thinking these are not really pre-69 but a reproduction (maybe 1980's or 90's?)

The center caps seem taller than they need to be to cover the front wheel hubs.

What's the best way to clean up in between the spokes to prep for new black paint?

I stumbled across an article saying that these need to be balanced lug-centric. And I guess really that's the best way to always balance a wheel but it's seldom done - and many shops might not even have the lug adapter. They say if you don't do lug-centric then you'll warp these rims. The center cap should be on when you balance, and that means for sure it has to be lug-centric.

I suspect that if you remove the center dome and look inside of that center part of the wheel, you'll find some nubs in there to center on the hub of the front wheel bearing "tower", which means only the rear wheels are "lug centric"?

If the seats for the lug nuts are in good shape, if you are careful when you torque the lug nuts, in sequence (torque and position), that everything will center anyway.

Seems like on one of the electronic wheel balancers we had at work, in the 1990s or so, it had hard plastic cones to put over the center spindle of the balancer, to tighten the wheel against, centering it on the wheel? On a normal steel wheel, there were also spacers to install on the outside of the wheel to tighten the wheel to the spindle securely and centered.

Stainless steel might be a bit brittle to use for a wheel. Only steel or an aluminum allow for wheels.
There are "hub centric inserts" you can buy, but not all aftermarket wheels will accept them? As some of the Buick chrome road wheels had the rings installed from the factory.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back