Looking for any information on these particular trim pieces

EurekaSevven

Reaction score
Hello,
I joined the forum because I recently bought a 1968 Chrysler Newport 4door Sedan as a bit of a project car (I've always had a soft spot for Chryslers of this styling and time period). I've been doing my research off and on about various components of this car, mainly so I can start in the springtime due to how cold it is out right now.
The front doors of the car are a bit bare (exposed to water), as it seems the seal between the outside door and the windows are gone on both sides (I'll post pictures at the end). On the passenger right side rear door, there's a chrome trim piece with the seal under it. On the driver rear side door, there's a seal, but no chrome trim. And both front doors are bare as I said. Any particular tips or tricks to even out the look?
Once spring hits I was going to take off all the door panels and redo all the aged stuff, but I needed info from people more experienced than I with this particular car.
Taz81bJ.png

gVNm2Ly.png

qG9PRxB.png

GW81nsd.png

WvOKJLi.png

gc0DzIc.png

XM2cfDu.png

DoOiUL5.png

uQYVehk.png

tTMPlqQ.png

4mc6lqb.png

vEQQkPY.png

You need the Cat Wiskers. @QQE a member on here (quirly engineering) I believe is the main supplier for these. I know for my ‘68 Polara 2 dr he had both inner and outer. He has been very helpful and also has some other obscure parts, such as the proper wire harness clips among other things.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yup, that looks to be it.
It was a super obscure part to find, any amount of googling didn't help me with it (not surprising really, just because of the age of the car).
Doesn't look to be super hard to replace/install, at least.
Thank you for the heads up!

try www.steelerubber.com. Not sure if that year is available> I think 65 - 68 was all the same. I'm talking about the catwhiskers. The chrome trim will have to come from a donor car.
Edit the 4 door could be the same as is the Hardtop It is the ‘67 and ‘68 2dr Fastop that is different. Actually for ‘68 fastop the stainless is attached to the cat whiskers and has the clips (Top Cat brand)

Last edited:
DMT Detroit Motor Technologies also carries them as well. The brand is Top Cat.
DMT also has a lot of body gaskets and seals that utilize original type materials. Jim has been a great help for me.
Mopar - Beltline Weatherstrips (Cat Whiskers) - Detroit Muscle Technologies, LLC

Seems this site only has the weather-strip for the 2dr Hardtop models. The other site seems to carry them for the 4 door models, but like John said, I would still need the chrome. Although, looking at this image from one of the steelerubber.com listings:
dd27d19d47434086e3a85b006bd7.jpg

Looks like the chrome comes included.

See if @QQE answers in a day or so. I think his company actually created the TopCat brand and has helped me and others directly.

I wanted to shoot him a private message but it said his inbox was full, so I put a post on his profile instead. I'll see what happens. I was going to contact him at some point anyways, he seems like the best bet for what I'm looking for.

On my 4dr hardtop I got my cat whiskers from Restoration Specialties.
Dante's auto also sells them.
Hope this helps.
20201107_143650.jpg

Dante's Auto looks like a good bet. They have an option for "outside only" on a 4 door hardtop (which I would imagine being the same as a 4 door sedan).
I'll see if I can call Quirey tomorrow.

Dante's Auto looks like a good bet. They have an option for "outside only" on a 4 door hardtop (which I would imagine being the same as a 4 door sedan).
I'll see if I can call Quirey tomorrow.
Only speculation here, but I'd think the 4D HT whisker strips would be a bit longer than those for a 4D Sedan - there's a vertical door frame on each end of the window opening so the HT should have a larger window and a larger opening would follow. Not that you couldn't maybe cut a couple inches or so off and make them work.

Only speculation here, but I'd think the 4D HT whisker strips would be a bit longer than those for a 4D Sedan - there's a vertical door frame on each end of the window opening so the HT should have a larger window and a larger opening would follow. Not that you couldn't maybe cut a couple inches or so off and make them work.
Make sure you trim them at an end that is not obvious to the naked eye.
boab july 2017 006.JPG

Looking at Dante's Auto, the options for the cat whiskers has these 4 that apply to mine:
upload_2021-1-14_20-43-23.png

Not really sure what difference the bottom two have, when referring to "beads"...It does say they are TopCat brand though. Maybe use the "item inquiry" and show them the pictures in an email so they could see which one applies more?

Looking at Dante's Auto, the options for the cat whiskers has these 4 that apply to mine:
View attachment 430979

Not really sure what difference the bottom two have, when referring to "beads"...It does say they are TopCat brand though. Maybe use the "item inquiry" and show them the pictures in an email so they could see which one applies more?
S.S is stainless bead,and the other is a plain black bead.
The bead is exposed and runs along the top of the door sill.
Hope this helps.
boab july 2017 009.JPG

Be sure the water shield behind the door trim panel is good and in place. I believe it'll be a thicker clear plastic sheet with holes for the door linkages and siuch. Probably held in place by some strip caulk? Black silicone works better, from my experiences and peels off easily if you need to move it to work inside the door.

Isn't C-Body Bob in that part of the world? Or nearby?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I got mine from Murray Park for my ‘67 Imperial.

S.S is stainless bead,and the other is a plain black bead.
The bead is exposed and runs along the top of the door sill.
Hope this helps.
Any better particular option out of the two? Quality wise or price wise?
I got mine from Murray Park for my ‘67 Imperial.
Murray does shipping, right? Mainly because I live in NC and he lives in Ohio if I remember. Quite a drive just for some parts. Heh.

Sorry guys just saw the post. I do make this part. The raw material for the inners is on BO from manufacturer until end of February. Dave
814-509-6410 is shop number

Back