Looking for blueprints for 66 New Yorker hemi swap

Troy88

Reaction score
Hey guys, New guy here. I'm swapping a 2017 5.7 8ZF into a 66 New Yorker. Its been quite the challenge to even get it between the frame rails, but we are there now and trying to get the engine into the correct position. Unfortunately the engine that was pulled was pretty bodged into the car, all the mounts were in pieces and we weren't able to pull a very good Chinese blueprint.

I'll readily admit I'm not a die hard Mopar guy, but on other makes in this era, the engine could be set off to the passenger side for extra clearance for controls, steering etc. Is that true on these? Is so does anyone know the distance and refence points? I have some blue prints for 1st gen Camaros that show the drivetrain installed in a frame and the angles/distances etc. Do these exist for a 66 New Yorker?

Thanks

The B/RB engines are already toward the rh side of the body, just a bit for steering gear clearance. Or, as a friend mentioned ages ago, for even weight on each front wheel. What you might find would be in the driveshaft section of the FSM, where the u-joint angles are mentioned, all the way back to the rear axle u-joint. As for the mounts and such, you might check the www.holley.com website to see what they use/how it all assembles when using their install kits for Gen III Hemis in A- and B-body cars. www.mymopar.com for free download of Chrysler factory service manuals and parts books.

NOW, in THESE pages, archived somewhere, is a swap of a Gen III Hemi into a 1968 Plymouth Fury III "23" 2-door hardtop. I think he used a TF trans, though.

I PM'd him about the swap. Sounded pretty simple. Main issue was the radiator as the Gen III cooling system has a pressurized recovery jug which is where the radiator cap is. Nothing on the radiator itself. He went to the salvage yard and cut out the radiator mount "horseshoe" and then screwed it on the back of the '68 core support and then mounted the radiator into it. I don't recall it being hard to get it to fit in the '68, though. I suggest you search for that thread. Putting a normal 4bbl intake with current self-learn EFI (which also controls the ignition) might handle the engine controls?

Swapping out the factory "chuck" steering gear for the smaller Jeep-based Borgeson unit might free-up some space in that area, I suspect.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I have all the swap stuff figured out already as far as control. Once its done I'll write it all up with pictures. This is not an easy swap for anyone thinking about it. Lots of crossmember and tunnel fab.

I'm not a fan of the TBI units. Everyone of them is a step in the wrong direction from the OEM MPFI IMO.

We have swapped to the smaller Borgeson steering box. I don't think the swap is even remotely possible without doing so. Even with the smaller unit there is still a pinch point at the back of the a/c compressor (will most likely need rear mounting boss removed), and the drivers side manifold. Of note, if you get a '16 and newer donor, look to see if it has a power steering pump. Ours didn't, but the drivers head does have the three bolts to use the holley kit, which is low pressure to be compatible with the new Borgenson box. But at this point, we have almost $1000 just into power steering solutions.

Electronics wise, we are using a Mopar Crate ECU kit, and Sound German 8 spd control. This is $2600 just for these two parts, and you need more. You will also need to figure out the DBW pedal solution, as there is not one that fits with the C body A/C box under the dash. 03-05 Ram has a Cable to electronics module that is hard to find and $$, plus no one knows if it will work with the Mopar Crate ECU TPS scaling. We are modifiying a factory DBW pedal assembly to be actuated with the factory New Yorker throttle cable and hiding it under the dash or in an inner fender.

Heater hose hard pipes off the engine will most likely need removed and a new solution fabbed.

A/C connections at the firewall will be a issue at well. The factory intake will most likely obscure these. Still working a solution.

The 8ZF HP needs all the external nubs removed from the case, except the three for the shifter cable. This makes tunnel modification much smaller.

We are fabbing our own mounts using the factory 66 New Yorker Rubber and frame stands.

Exhaust for the time being is Jeep manifolds to 2.25 Summit kit.

You don't need the degas bottle that OEM uses. You can use a normal radiator set up. This is very common with LS swaps as well.

With all that being said, I would still like to know how much the factory engine is offset to the passenger side LOL. If someone could measure that would be much appreciated as well.

Found another thread, not the one I was mentioning. This thread came later.
"6.4 Hemi swap into '65 Fury" Andy Smith Oct 21, 2019.

CBODY67

There is significant differences to a 66 New Yorker apparently. We had to cut 2" out of the cross member under the engine to fit that same pan. His vintage air swap is something we considered as well to make plumbing the heat and air easier. But they don't make a kit, so more labor to make a universal solution work.

He cut the entire tunnel out, which in ours wasn't necessary. We simply cut a sideways "H" on the tunnel. Then flex the sides up to clear, and it will get a strip down the top of the tunnel to fill the gap, and a couple small filler strips on the ends. Just a different way to get the same result really.

2.76 I think. It's just a family cruiser. It had a 400 with multiple issues and not economic to repair. For *about* the same money they are getting a 2017 drivetrain with 18k miles, and 5 more gears, lock up convertor, EFi etc etc etc.

The reason I inquired is that how that might compare to what the Charger had in it, by comparison.

Yeah. I think the modern hemi cars are right around 3.08 or high 2's. Should work pretty good with the older cars cruiser gears.

I'll check the gears while I'm out there today

Back