looking for feedback on garages (just dreaming mostly)

sauterd

Reaction score
Hi all,

How do you all feel about garages? For example, in NC where Gary and I live we always have the threat of hurricanes, etc. Do you think something like the Quonset Hut Garage Kit
at the link below would be sufficient and safe for storing cars?

30x40 Garage Price | Online Estimates | Multiple Quotes

Or perhaps, it should have a wooden structure, though looking around that seems to add a lot of expense. I'm assuming the better the foundation and the more the structure is strengthened with wood, the better. Anyway, thanks for any feedback you can offer. Just wondering what would work and what it would cost (for my old age, if I make it that long.)

Dale

gareages-june-6-breakout-qwaefhijk2345.jpg

2x12 stick construction on a very hearty slab. Not cheap but strong as hell and can be insulated and climate controlled with one small compressor (why swear when your looking at cool stuff?)
I'd usually suggest a standing seam metal roof but I'm not up on their performance in hurricanes.

All this from a guy that doesn't have a garage OR a C body.

Dale,

I too want to put up a smallish "accessory building" as my local building department would call it. I don't know what your local building codes look like, but around here the only sure thing would be if it was "Miami-Dade approved"... since the roofs were blown off of so many houses in Homestead during hurricane Andrew in 91, they have been the standard for wind/hurricane resistant construction. The Simpson hardware alone,required to build wood to their "uplift" standards, would make metal construction start to look really good, but it has to be a good metal building. The cheap ones are more like a shed than a proper building.

Enjoy your search.

I myself have thought of the quonset garage style. For me I want to have the spray foam insulation and not sure if it will adhere to the metal backing. Also for me I want to re-create a 1940's era gas station with pump island overhang. For the "office" I want to find a restored/replica era station and take three pictures of the interior and have them blown up and applied as a vinyl graphic to the two windows and main walk in door (all in front). That way I don't loose storage area and have minimal cost in recreating the look I want to have. If anyone know of a restored/recreated gas station from close to that era let me know so I can ask to take those three photos.

Also, on our new DPW City garage we added windows under the overhang to get light w/o using electricity. The windows would not be functioning but are stationary. The drive thru door would be 12' x 12'. This would make for better resale for those who have a motorhome or tall vehicle. Build as big as you are legally and financially able to with resale in mind.

Last edited:
Back