Looking for ideas on carb

Bayoulee

Reaction score
I'm looking for an aluminum dual plane intake and 4 barrel carb on a 383 for my 66 Sport Fury. It will be purely for street driving, but I want to get the most out of it I can. Will likely add a mild cam and headers at some point.
3 questions:
1: What carb is the least finicky: a Thermoquad or a Holley?
2: What is the performance difference/pros cons of spreadbore vs squarebore?
3: what CFM range would be best for this combination to best wake up this tank?
Thanks in advance-
Lee

1. edelbrock
2. dont sweat this just do #1
3. stock 383 motor = 650 cfm

4. weiand 8008 or mopar stock 4bbl / edelbrock copy

try not to die -

- saylor

Edelbrock 1406 and 2186. If you search, I made a pretty decent "how to" last fall on the same motor with factory ac.

I'm looking for an aluminum dual plane intake and 4 barrel carb on a 383 for my 66 Sport Fury. It will be purely for street driving, but I want to get the most out of it I can. Will likely add a mild cam and headers at some point.
3 questions:
2: What is the performance difference/pros cons of spreadbore vs squarebore?
3: what CFM range would be best for this combination to best wake up this tank?
Thanks in advance-
Lee

I'd go Thermoquad in the 680 - 750 range for a 383 (stock) sitting on top a spreadbore Performer by Edlebrok. You'll get a lot of opinions on your questions but there's two things I've learned in my lifetime, new Edlebrok carbs are $hit and a ***** to connect to most linkage setups and everyone I talk to is still pissing around with power valves on their Holleys trying to get them to operate properly across the power band. I have a 65 Fury with a stroker in it now and my 383 is under my work bench, complete and ready to go. It was very stout with that combination but I do have a Lunati voodoo cam in it. What ever you go with, be aware of hood clearance with certain air cleaner housings. And don't buy anything that isn't certified by the manufacturer for today's gasoline, high test or otherwise.

I'd go Thermoquad in the 680 - 750 range for a 383 (stock) sitting on top a spreadbore Performer by Edlebrok. You'll get a lot of opinions on your questions but there's two things I've learned in my lifetime, new Edlebrok carbs are $hit and a ***** to connect to most linkage setups and everyone I talk to is still pissing around with power valves on their Holleys trying to get them to operate properly across the power band. I have a 65 Fury with a stroker in it now and my 383 is under my work bench, complete and ready to go. It was very stout with that combination but I do have a Lunati voodoo cam in it. What ever you go with, be aware of hood clearance with certain air cleaner housings.

My 1406 went pretty smoothly. Just need to get the adapter for the kickdown and a fuel inlet adapter as well, the rest of the linkage I was able to bend, which was a little bit of trial and error though.

Neither, Holley has way more tuning parts than any other carbs and info about tuning(you will need waders to navigate info), TQ will test your patience and knowledge.
A Eddy carb, performer or thunder series(my preference) will be really close on a stock engine but they can give you fits with low manifold vacuum of a lumpy cam.

holy lol yall could deliberate about which side is the front of a football couldnt you.

just go buy a 1406, dont forget the 1481 adapter, bolt it on, and you could already be driving by now instead of sitting here reading this lame post.

try not to die -

- saylor

I've bought the 1406 and a 1411 which are performer series carbs and I wouldn't buy either one of those again(although I'm still successfully using both of them currently) I would try the Thunder series next or strongly consider a new efi set-up.

I am going to do an EFI conversion, although I do have an Eddy now.

I have read that one of the reasons new engines last so long is that EFI doesn't wash down the sides of the bores with excess gas when cold. Since I'm trying to extend out the useful life of my 175,000-mile original 440, that's a major contributor to my opinion.

1. edelbrock
2. dont sweat this just do #1
3. stock 383 motor = 650 cfm

4. weiand 8008 or mopar stock 4bbl / edelbrock copy

try not to die -

- saylor
Any pros vs cons to the weiand 8008 over the Eddy performer?

Weiand is a little shorter if you have hood clearance issues, but gives up a bit of torque. Like a really little bit.

Part 1 of Hot Rod's Mopar Intake Manifold Shootout

There's a 440 comparison like this out there, too. It actually tests the stock manifold, but the engine is hotter, so the comparison might not be as valid.
Thats a good article. I was reading how to measure for hood clearance, but the Engine isn't in the car, so how do I know if there will be a clearance issue?

Is your stock manifold on the engine? If not, measure it using the method they describe. That will tell you how much higher these manifolds are. Then hope someone else will put a blob of aluminum foil on the air cleaner of their similar car and tell you how much clearance there is.

My 1406 went pretty smoothly. Just need to get the adapter for the kickdown and a fuel inlet adapter as well, the rest of the linkage I was able to bend, which was a little bit of trial and error though.
What car did you put this in? Im trying to determine if the Performer will fit under my hood

What car did you put this in? Im trying to determine if the Performer will fit under my hood
'67 Newport, no clearance issues. I would imagine since the 4 barrel was an option they'd have to consider extra room. I'm not sure how a stock 4 barrel intake differs from the Performer though.

Back