Looking for input

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
I recently changed the valve seals in my 68 383 HP Motor, this had never been opened since assembly. only four of the 16 seals were intact and those were hard as rocks. As you can imagine, it's running so much better not being a semi-diesel, even sounds better through the mufflers and oil consumption is way down. Question I have is to do with additives that will remove built up carbon in the combustion chamber. Any suggestions or experience with these?

If it's carbon - take a spray bottle like from Fantastic or similar spray cleaner and fill it with water. Remove the air cleaner lid, and birng the engine up to 1500-2000rpm and as fast as you can, spray the water down the primaries of the carb. Do that 3-4 times with the engine a operating temperature. You can also use ATF but water has always worked for me.

I also swear by this for carb, top end, mowers, snow blowers and autos.
0116-2016-311x750.png

Back when I was a GM technician we would use GM Top Engine Cleaner. Now I just use transmission fluid. Get yourself a squirt bottle fill it with about 8oz or so, get the engine warm,shut it down remove the air cleaner, start the engine hold the engine at about 1800 rpm, fast idle and start to squirt the transmission fluid down the air horn of the carburetor SLOWLY. It will smoke badly, keep the idle up about 1800 or so it will want to die, after you get most to all of the fluid down the air horn let the engine die. Turn off the ignition switch. Let it set,the longer the better. Overnight would work. The transmission fluid will soften the deposits on the valves and in the cylinders. Put the air cleaner back on, start the engine keep the idle at about 1800 rpm, it will blow a lot of smoke. Go for a quick run until the smoke clears. Your neighbors and the cars behind you will hate you. Then change the engine oil. Then after that put about 8 oz or so of transmission fluid in your gas tank when you fill up. After awhile you can put transmission fluid in your gas tank when you think of it. Hope this helps.

Just remember when you clean the top end of an engine change the engine oil as soon as you can after cleaning the top end, it will wash down a bunch of crap past the rings. As soon as you are done is best!

Back