Looking for some input

popsrods62880

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to get my car going and looking for some input.
My 62 dodge 880 coupe has a 361 with push button trans.

When I bought the car I was told???
the motor was rebuilt at 1 time
the trans made noise

I have a 70 413 out of a motor home (short block)
2 400 motors long blocks
915 closed chamber heads

Do to overwhelming medical bills I don't think my 1 st option is viable at this time. 451 stroker using te 413 crank in the 400 block.

SO what would the most cost effective route be
rebuild the 413 using the 400 or 915 heads

build the 400 using the 400 or 915 heads

Can I get some power out of the 400 without stroking it?

I do have an edlebrock manifold and unilite dizzy for the 400

In a perfect world I would find a running motor.

Transmission
Should I rebuild the push button or use a later model trans that I have. ( I have a lockar shifter that can be installed on the floor leaving everything in place to run the push button at a later date.

My budget right now is based on which direction I go selling everything else to fund my direction. plus other parts I have

Opinions/experiences please

You're kind of in a tough spot. If either the 400 or the 413 needs to be bored, pistons for either of those two can be pricey.

I am not opposed to using the 361 Would that be a better option using the hardened seat heads off the 400

You have a collection of stuff that doesn't play together. 400 has cast crank no converter to work with trans expensive unbalanced flex plate will work with pb trans later trans has slip yoke not ball and trunnion. 413 pita piston, same on 361 plus being motorhome can have lots of

Find an RV 440 for 350 dollars. Put your 413 crank into it.
Even if you don't need the inches, 440's are your cheapest BB build on the market.

Tons of new and used stuff readily available,

Keep a forged crank engine, and the original transmission. That trans can be push started,(HA) as it has two pumps, and it is one tough torqueflite. A 440 as commando said is the best idea. 413 is good but if you have to get parts, it is a bit tough
to secure pistons, etc. When I was a kid I heard they were considered a soft block. I don't if that is true or not in 1970.

Keep a forged crank engine, and the original transmission. That trans can be push started,(HA) as it has two pumps, and it is one tough torqueflite. A 440 as commando said is the best idea. 413 is good but if you have to get parts, it is a bit tough
to secure pistons, etc. When I was a kid I heard they were considered a soft block. I don't if that is true or not in 1970.
Any 440 component (Read: Cheap) can be used on the 413 forged crank. And he has the crank.

Back