Loose steering

Bruce311

Reaction score
I have some play in steering and notice some play in Pittman arm. I'e seen alot of talk about bad fit on new ones. The best I've heard to buy from is firm feel, any thoughts or recommendations? For 78 nub. TIA

The first thing is to check the all front end components for wear, if you haven’t already. You may have a bigger issue than just play in the pitman arm.

I have some play in steering and notice some play in Pittman arm. I'e seen alot of talk about bad fit on new ones. The best I've heard to buy from is firm feel, any thoughts or recommendations? For 78 nub. TIA

Carefully check to see if the bushing on the pitman arm is what is moving. If you do not see movement in the bushing, the problem is probably a worn or mis-adjusted gear. As noted above, a lot of things could be worn. The rubber parts on the control arms and the strut rods usually go first, check them for chunks falling out or big cracks. Have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth to check the tie rod ends and idler arm for excessive play. Check the input coupling on the steering gear for worn or broken parts. Ball joints could also be bad, the FSM gives detailed instructions on how to check them. Bad shocks can also cause erratic steering.

Dave

I' gonna order Pittman bushing first. As I had wheels off the ground, I could see play at the bushing when I manually moved wheels. I haven' looked yet, but do they make a good aftermarket bushing?

The first thing is to check the all front end components for wear, if you haven’t already. You may have a bigger issue than just play in the pitman arm.
The other bushings are still ok, but plan on replacing before driving

I think the lowers are. When creeping to a stop, forward or reverse, I have a little clunk. Thought it might be a loose caliber, but might be lca

I' gonna order Pittman bushing first. As I had wheels off the ground, I could see play at the bushing when I manually moved wheels. I haven' looked yet, but do they make a good aftermarket bushing?

Pitman arm is replaced as a unit, bushing is not able to be replaced. There is a bushing kit for the idler arm if that needs to be replaced. Moog generally makes good replacement parts. A lot of the original OEM Mopar stuff is 40+ years old at this point, so tread carefully if you decide to go that route. Rubber components go south if not properly stored.

Dave

Back