Lost my Great Dane today.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
We had to have House, my Great Dane, put down today. I've put up pics of him once in a while here.

He's been having some issues lately and the vet discovered a mass on his chest that was probably causing most of them. With his recommendation, I decided he wasn't going to suffer anymore.

Hanging with me on a NAPA parts run.

0YnUjJd.jpg

My condolences Big_John, he looks like a happy guy... and I never met a Great Dane I didn't like.

I am so sorry for your loss and to hear this John...I know what you are going through. You may not know that I am a huge fanatical dog lover and have three Labradors and lost my yellow lab girl "Cheese" in 2013 with an aspiration. I always adopt and rescue dogs to have our city maximum of three allowed per resident. I would have ten if I could. Our house motto is "Dog is God spelled backwards."

Sorry to hear that John! Matt had a beautiful Great Dane too that I was able to meet in Detroit. Gentle giants for sure!

So sorry for your loss.

As someone that spent 10 years in rescue, thank you for adopting from a shelter.

Hi John. Very sorry to hear about the death of House. It is extremely hard to lose a family member. Dogs are definitely family members. I have never owned a great dane, (we have a yellow lab). However, my father's family owned one called Burley in the 1930s. It was named after their neighbors, the Burlesons, who gave the dog. I dug up the pic below, circa 1935. I know House is now playing with Burley and having a good time. After all, all dogs go to heaven. I'm sure you'll meet House again there.
Scan 1932 1200 dpi jpeg Dad, John, Burley.jpg

Very sorry for you and your family, putting a family dog down is just plain hard. Late at night when the house is quiet, you will hear "House" patrolling and checking his family.

I put my last best buddy down in 2008 and decided since the kids were all out of the house to not go through that again with another dog. However, every time I see a black lab my pulse jumps and I start thinking, maybe ...

Sorry to hear. I'm sure though the 4 years you gave him made him forget his early struggles. I always say dogs are never with us long enough so make the most of the time you do get to share.

Sorry John, you know my heart is with you on this one. Remember the words you said when I put my dog down, "He is not suffering anymore". Remember all the fun times you had with him.
Bill

Back