Lower Steering Column Bearing - 68 Sport Fury

clair.davis

Reaction score
With column-shift auto, what is the proper lower column bearing for this car? Mine's a little toast:
37107696950_5292f94140_c.jpg
Steering_Column_Bearing by clair_davis, on Flickr

I've seen the usual B/E body reproductions - is one of those applications correct for the Fury? Not sure why this part would be wildly different than any column-shift car, but you know how Mother Mopar was... Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Clair

Thanks, Alan, that's pretty much what I expected mine to look like, and should have two screws as well. I couldn't tell if the one on my car had a proper bearing at one point, or if that black ring was it.

Great info. My 1964 & 65 A-bodies have/had a plastic disk there. I assume to block engine fumes coming up the steering column, though most disintegrated. I don't recall taking my 65 Newport's column out, but probably the same part. One guy fabbed a similar looking bearing assembly for his early A-body. It appears the factory did just that ca 1970, though the column is likely different ID (since collapsible ~1968+).

I will try to check the source I used for my 68 Polara when I get home mid week. I bought it a few years ago but don’t remember where. I might be able to find the info.

Thanks, HWY, I actually bought the lower & upper bearings from Bill Rolik the other day... going to replace them all while I’m in there. Will probably start on that project in the next week or so.

Back