Lowering question

ridin_low07

Reaction score
Whats the deal with the torsion bar and alignment issue? Is there any way to correct it? I only wanna go about 2" lower in the front but I do not wanna run through tires like crazy.

Ditto to what Commando stated.. just be ready to scrape from time to time.

Like whenever you drive the car :D

The torsion bars are not the right way to lower a car, this will take away travel. You might as well remove them and ride against the bump stops.

To properly lower you still need dropped spindles and modified lower control arms.

Alan

Just crank the torsion bars down & get an alignment. It will ride like **** but that's the price you pay for looking cool. Well worth it....

Yep, my lowered Imp rides like a hay wagon. I'm gonna replace the shocks but I'm not super optimistic that it'll help.
The original Imp never happened.
The Pimperial "rides like a hay wagon".
The Polara "runs like ****".
Son, remember two years ago when I said....
rofl.gif

Just kidding Ross. You have put in a ton of blood, sweat, tears, and money and put up with my razzing. That alone deserves my respect.
thumbs_up_smiley.gif

Ive ran many lowered vehicles and as long as youre not hitting bump stops its not too bad of a ride. And being that this car is a budget friendly go play when I can, I probably wont be having a custom shop fab new control arms. I had just read that there was no way to get the alignment back once going lower with the control arm irregularities. Also 2" in the front is not as low as you think it is. There is at least 6" of clearance between the oil pan and the ground on my Newport. The last truck I had was an 02' Chevy that was 4/7 dropped and I didn't scrap much at all. The frame on those already sits pretty low to the ground as well.

Is there a way to tell if your front end is at the proper height? The FO supposedly lowered my car by adjusting the bars, but I cant tell. The ride and alignment seem to be fine. Maybe distance from floor to bottom of bumper?

Is there a way to tell if your front end is at the proper height? The FO supposedly lowered my car by adjusting the bars, but I cant tell. The ride and alignment seem to be fine. Maybe distance from floor to bottom of bumper?

Level, if there are no mods to the rear like lowering block or modified shackles the car should set level.

Alan

There is a point of measurement specified in you FSM ........ You DO have a FSM.....?

The FSM tells you to measure the height under the ball joint and under the lower control arm pivot, on a 69 Polara it is to be 1-1/8" +/- 1/8"

There are no overall ride height measurements with the differences in tire sizes and maybe other factors.

Alan

Back