Lug Nuts / Studs

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm thinking of removing the left-hand thread studs from the driver side drums on my '66 300 and installing regular right hand thread studs, so I can use regular lug nuts.

What is the best way to remove the old studs from the brake drums? Do I wail on them with a BFH or what?

I'm thinking of removing the left-hand thread studs from the driver side drums on my '66 300 and installing regular right hand thread studs, so I can use regular lug nuts.

What is the best way to remove the old studs from the brake drums? Do I wail on them with a BFH or what?

Thank yew, gents.

I was warned years ago about simply pounding them out with a hammer, because you can distort the drum and throw it out of round.

The studs are swedged (peened) to lock them in place, and back in the 90s what I was told I needed to do was have the swedges cut off with a swedge cutter and then pressed out, which I had an old grey beard do.

What I recently did when I had to do the same thing with NOS rotors I bought that had all LH thread studs in them was I got my dremel tool and a small grinding stone and carefully cut the swedges away. Then I used a block of wood and the medium BFH and they simply fell out nicely.

Don't just hammer them out. Take the time and cut the swedge marks away. You'll possibly save your drums.

Last edited:
I was warned years ago about simply pounding them out with a hammer, because you can distort the drum and throw it out of round.

The studs are swedge (peened) to lock them in place, and back in the 90s what I was told I needed to do was have the swedges cut off with a swedge cutter and then pressed out, which I had an old grey beard do.

What I recently did when I had to do the same thing with NOS rotors I bought that had all LH thread studs in them was I got my dremel tool and a small grinding stone and carefully cut the swedges away. Then I used a block of wood and the medium BFH and they simply fell out nicely.

Don't just hammer them out. Take the time and cut the swedge marks away. You'll possibly save your drums.

Mighty fine, Ross. I was sure there was more elegant way to do this.

If they are swedged you will need to get a swedge cutter of have them done. Look at the thread side of the stud and see if there is a swell, mushroom effect right at the drum, it is slight but can be seen.

I think the rears can be knocked out.

Alan

Seems like a waste of perfectly good LH lug studs to me. I like having them, its fun to see the weird look the tire store guy gets when you tell him. Or when someone says, "your turning them the wrong way", just before they come loose.
I recently bought two boxes of 10 NOS mopar LH lug studs off ebay.

I like them too! When I did it in the 90s as described I was replacing drums and needed to put new drums on the original hubs.

2nd time was when I needed to make one NOS LH rotor into a RH rotor. Can't have LH threads on the wrong side!!!

you can wail the rears but Dont wail on the fronts.
the drum/hub Will bend,and its a 2 piece.
remove the hub/drum from the car,then remove the hub from the drum First.
now use a press instead to remove the studs front/s and Jakes album shows how-to use a lug to reinstall them as well.

Why do you want to replace them Rip?

Well. . . I've got a couple of studs buggered up from being repeatedly "loosened" in the wrong direction. Since I gotta replace them, I figured I might as well give in and conform to the rest of the world that only knows "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

Seems like a waste of perfectly good LH lug studs to me. I like having them, its fun to see the weird look the tire store guy gets when you tell him. Or when someone says, "your turning them the wrong way", just before they come loose.
I recently bought two boxes of 10 NOS mopar LH lug studs off ebay.

I like the idea too Wil, but it has become less and less practical for me. . .

Back