Luggage racks?

RCB

Reaction score
Were any luggage racks ever offered on Slab Sides? I've never seen one, but for the C bodies I got to thinking that it seems like a feature that might have existed.

From the 68 Chrysler brochure.
1968chrysler_14.jpg

My 1966 T&C has a full length luggage or roof rack. 1/2 length was available too.
b910eb9c9cde784bf62e0a524aab16e4.jpg

I don't know if it was available on anything other than wagons though, but it would make sense that the shorty was useable on a 4 or 2 door. T'would look fugly though...

Ross if you ever want to get rid of your wagon, I know a good home for it. :). Love your wagon.

b910eb9c9cde784bf62e0a524aab16e4.jpg

How about trunk mounted luggage racks? Not that you need extra room in a C body, but still.... Oh and put me 2nd in line for your wagon :D

How about trunk mounted luggage racks? Not that you need extra room in a C body, but still.... Oh and put me 2nd in line for your wagon :D

That seems like a British sports car thing with no trunk space. Can't see that looking very appealing. I have never thought I needed more room than my trunk

Posted by Stan in 2013.

The optional Authorized Mopar Dealer Installed Accessories luggage rack looked like this:
The one on the Newport looks aftermarket.

P1010162.JPG

I checked out Hamtramck-Historical and the 1968 Chrysler Parts Accessories Catalog is the only mention of trunk luggage racks for slab sides. They don't have the 65 catalog up on their site but 66 and 67 were wagon only.

1968 Chrysler Parts Accessories.PNG
68 trunk lid luggage rack accessory A.PNG
68 trunk lid luggage rack accessory.PNG

I remember looking at a 71 Barracuda Gran Coupe in the early 90s that had a luggage rack on it (factory) and always thought they were kind neat/odd factory options. Some of them were nicely styled and others were cheap. Kind of like continental kits.

That's interesting. What is difference between that and factory? I am guessing if a dealer wanted to add AC to a car?

70 is the 1st year i recall seeing factory Mopar trunk racks. "E" bodies offered that option and in 71 the option was added to "B" bodies. We had the rack on our 71 Satellite. Didn't work well with my ski rack.
Those dealer installed racks look like J.C.Whitney fare.

Yes - for cars not originally equipped with AC, dealer installed AC was available.

A buddy had a dealer ac unit put in his brand new 70 Challenger. It was a sixpack pistol grip car and i believe factory air was not available with his options combo.

Back