Major Finds on your cars

62dodge

Reaction score
Just wondering what things did you discover that was done to your car. As i am getting ready to fix a transmission leak I noticed that my stubframe was changed a long time ago, one bolt was loose, and there was undercoating everywhere, except on the stubframe. When it stops raining I will take some pictures.

Nothing too major, some minor wiring hack jobs melted hvac connectors, I'm the first person who's gone inside the engine all top end work and timing chain

Pleasantly surprised to find 3.55 and 3.23 gears in my Polaras, both 2.76 from the factory.

My fury was a hacked mess. It looked decent at first until I started taking it apart. All the engine core plugs had about a tube of silicone each holding them in. Didn't even know if there was a freeze plug under them. Rocker shaft retaining bolts were hardware store bolts with about 6 washer on each for spacers. Pounds of sludge in the oil pan and pickup. Looks like they couldn't get at the wheel cylinder bolts in or lost them; so they just JB Welded them to the backing plates and left the bolts out. Right brake drums on the left side, Left ones on the right side. Wood screws everywhere. Duct tape holding the wiring together.
Just came in from the garage tonight. Latest find was at some point they broke the speedo cable, so why not just silicone it to the head. I was planning on redoing everything anyway, but not like this. Last winter I redid the engine, brakes and suspensions. This winters project was the interior, heater box and dash. I was hoping to have it ready by now, now just shooting for Carlisle in July. I guess some people are just not meant to work on cars.

Mine was painted some time ago and now it has three shades of white with fourth shade them. The AT II has been taken out as well as some components of the original ABS brake system and the driver´s door switch panel is replaced with one without vent switches. :(

I discovered how undercoating and paint can hide major body cancer...:rolleyes:
I knew my Polara had some but not to the degree it had.
Once I was into it I had to keep going to not lose my entire investment. Now she is cancer free for 4 years with no re-occurrence found! :lol:

My '66 Coronet had a six cylinder torsion bar on the right side, and the correct big-block bar on the left side. Found this out when my brother-in-law, who weighed a buck-fifty then, sat on the fender. The bar snapped. So, as a result, we put a pair of new ones on the car. This was back in '80.

I guess my biggest surprise was the 300 had no seat belts, but when I replaced the tires, including the spare, there was a plastic bag with the full set of front seat belts and bolts under the spare tire. I put them back in place. The rear seat belts were still attached, but had been tucked behind the seat.

Another surprise I had was when dismantling the donor Newport a few years back was when I cut the trunk pan out and discovered a new in the bag cigarette lighter that was between the 1/4 panel and the filler panel in the trunk...

Went to install 3.91s in my 70 wagon thinking it was still the factory 3.23 open diff. Put the sure grip in set it down and grinding made a post on here. And people said check the axles and sure enough someone put 2.76 open in and shorter B body axles.

Probably the worst that I've uncovered on my Monaco is the damned rear window channel. Someone noticed the trunk was taking on water and ran a bead of silicon around the bottom edge of the window trim which didn't stop water from getting in but sure kept it from getting out.... that's gonna be ugly when it comes out.

Back