Making this Polara mine....

TroyCo

Reaction score
Since I'm waiting for parts, I decided to address the lack of a coolant overflow bottle.

20210208_145652.jpg
20210208_145701.jpg

20210208_150041.jpg

Mounts up to existing holes in the rad support. Once the paint dries, i think it'll look pretty cool.

That reminds me, I need to replace the Mountain Dew bottle I've used for the last decade.

Here is mine. Free gift from my Carlisle ride along. Its tucked behind the headlight against the core support. No one ever sees it. Oh well
IMG_1305.JPG

I think something like that would be a better long term reservoir than my contraption. I just wanted to do it for shits n gigs. It looks cool for sure but I'll eventually add something more permanent and less breakable. The fun part for me was emptying that bottle. That's where my best ideas come from. :D

I’m curious to see how that glass skull holds up in freezing temps when a sudden burst of 212 degree liquid enters.

I’m curious to see how that glass skull holds up in freezing temps when a sudden burst of 212 degree liquid enters.
It may be ok. It wouldn't be a "burst" of coolant but a stream as the coolant expands in the rad. The hose should go almost all the way to the bottom of the bottle and coolant filled up above the bottom of the hose, which would help to reduce the temperature change. Besides, I presume the car will be parked in the winter, unless the OP is the type to start it occasionally in the off-season.

It may be ok. It wouldn't be a "burst" of coolant but a stream as the coolant expands in the rad. The hose should go almost all the way to the bottom of the bottle and coolant filled up above the bottom of the hose, which would help to reduce the temperature change. Besides, I presume the car will be parked in the winter, unless the OP is the type to start it occasionally in the off-season.
Yeah, no winter driving for me. I have been running it a bit here and there to move it, but not long enough where it gets hot enough to overheat.

Here it is, all painted and installed.

20210210_173334.jpg

Next on the list, not sure if I do this before or after the disc swap....

20210210_173445.jpg

As I mentioned before, you should fill it with coolant up to the bottom of the tube. Otherwise it will do that itself, with coolant from the rad which will then not get sucked back into the rad as it cools.

Intake is a 30 min job. First.
As I mentioned before, you should fill it with coolant up to the bottom of the tube. Otherwise it will do that itself, with coolant from the rad which will then not get sucked back into the rad as it cools.
Agreed. I have nothing but DEX-COOL at the moment, but before I fire it up I'll top it up with the green stuff.

The weather this evening was nice so I took this ol' slab out for it's maiden voyage with me as an owner. Drives pretty nice. Needs a tune up, which I started already and the carb needs adjustment but overall, it runs well. I've been doing little things to it over the past weeks such as cleaning up some old or janky wiring, fixing the horn and replacing the rag joint, replaced the old and dried out washer hoses, and replaced the coil and rotor. I still have some plugs and oil to change and she should be ready to get a safety. Just in time for spring.

The weather this evening was nice so I took this ol' slab out for it's maiden voyage with me as an owner. Drives pretty nice. Needs a tune up, which I started already and the carb needs adjustment but overall, it runs well. I've been doing little things to it over the past weeks such as cleaning up some old or janky wiring, fixing the horn and replacing the rag joint, replaced the old and dried out washer hoses, and replaced the coil and rotor. I still have some plugs and oil to change and she should be ready to get a safety. Just in time for spring.
Sweet! I'm envious, I can't wait to drive something old again.

Back