Manual A/C and A/C delete

Reaction score
Hi all.. New member here. I apologize in advance if these questions have already been covered; I did try using the advanced search. I'm interested in buying a C body but I would like to avoid ATC (except possibly the '71-73 Imperials). I'm interested in most all Chrysler C bodies from 1967 and up, including Newports. I don't really even care to have a/c, but a manual system would be fine. So.. was it even possible to order a 74-75 Imperial with an H51 code? What is the code for A/C delete, btw? Was it even possible to order a 74-75 Imperial with A/C delete? What about the NYB's from '76-77? Thank you all!

I'm always reminding people that at least through 1968, C-body cars have kick panel vents that let in lots of air when open, and they make AC less of a necessity. Here in the humid mid-Atlantic, they're lifesavers for me. One thing I was thankful for when I got my LeBaron (1967) was that it did NOT have ATC, which was then (and maybe still is?) known as "dial a prayer AC." I THINK it remained a separate option from AC into the 1980's.

Not familiar with "AC delete," it was just an option not ordered, so there won't be a separate code for a car withOUT it. Not sure exactly when, but at a certain point options/power accessories were put into groups, which may equate to a certain code on the ID plate, so you may not find that separately.

Well, hope this helps.

I'm always reminding people that at least through 1968, C-body cars have kick panel vents that let in lots of air when open, and they make AC less of a necessity. Here in the humid mid-Atlantic, they're lifesavers for me. One thing I was thankful for when I got my LeBaron (1967) was that it did NOT have ATC, which was then (and maybe still is?) known as "dial a prayer AC." I THINK it remained a separate option from AC into the 1980's.

Not familiar with "AC delete," it was just an option not ordered, so there won't be a separate code for a car withOUT it. Not sure exactly when, but at a certain point options/power accessories were put into groups, which may equate to a certain code on the ID plate, so you may not find that separately.

Well, hope this helps.
Thank you Imperialist.. I don't care about having a/c but I do want heat! The more I read through forums here, the more I learn about significant issues with each generation; not with quality or reliability so much as the unavailability of replacement parts today. I will just have to keep looking daily for a uniCorn.

As to what was standard, optional, or what not . . . look in the "Library" at www.hamtramck-historical.com . Factory order guides and dealer information there. Plus lots of other stuff you might need to make your purchase decision.

On the OTHER hand, if you're not concerned with a/c, then a non-functioning unit (manual, ATC, or ATC II) would be of little consequence?

On the manual a/c. there are still the great cowl vents. On the other hand, IF you're driving an Imperial with any kind of a/c, it NEEDS to work so you can enjoy the quiet and solitude of your automotive experience, it seems to me.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

As to what was standard, optional, or what not . . . look in the "Library" at www.hamtramck-historical.com . Factory order guides and dealer information there. Plus lots of other stuff you might need to make your purchase decision.

On the OTHER hand, if you're not concerned with a/c, then a non-functioning unit (manual, ATC, or ATC II) would be of little consequence?

On the manual a/c. there are still the great cowl vents. On the other hand, IF you're driving an Imperial with any kind of a/c, it NEEDS to work so you can enjoy the quiet and solitude of your automotive experience, it seems to me.

CBODY6

CBODY67
Good info and advice CBODY67. Thank you.

Hi all.. New member here. I apologize in advance if these questions have already been covered; I did try using the advanced search. I'm interested in buying a C body but I would like to avoid ATC (except possibly the '71-73 Imperials). I'm interested in most all Chrysler C bodies from 1967 and up, including Newports. I don't really even care to have a/c, but a manual system would be fine. So.. was it even possible to order a 74-75 Imperial with an H51 code? What is the code for A/C delete, btw? Was it even possible to order a 74-75 Imperial with A/C delete? What about the NYB's from '76-77? Thank you all!
All Formal (74-75) Imperials came with AutotempII as standard equipment. No manual A/C availability:

74_Imperial_0016.jpg
74_Imperial_0011.jpg

These are from the 74 book, 75 is the same in this regard. Furthermore, it appears you could not option an Imperial without A/C at all.

I did own a 76 NYB that was an H51 no A/C heater only car...very Newporty.

A quick study of sales brochures reveals the following:

On Imperials, the last model year for manual A/C was 1967. The changeover to Auto Temp was possibly in the very end of that model year. 1968 through 1970 Imperials had Chrysler’s first attempt with this system. 1971 through 1975 used the Auto Temp II system. A/C was optional through the 1972 model year and standard thereafter. A non A/C equipped fuselage Imperial would be rare, though.

Someday I am going to attempt to convert a 1969 Imperial with H53 to H51 using a 1969 300 parts car unless someone tells me it can’t be done!

Back