Marble stuck in a vase

3C's & a D?

Reaction score
I was at an outdoor antique show awhile back and purchased a vase with a marble stuck in the stem. I know this isn't a car question, however there are alot of experienced people here who may have dealt with this in the past or have ideas I don't. It's a hand blown vase about one quarter inch thick throughout, ten inches tall, with a marble stuck in the stem. I tried vacuuming it, turning it with a sharpened bamboo skewer, blowing it with compressed air directed towards on side, I'm now slowly filling it with water, the ounce that's in it took about fifteen minutes to get in there, burping it in by slapping the bottom. I'm hoping once I get enough water in there the weight (while being slapped) will free it. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll fill it as much as possible and freezing it while monitoring it closely of course. The easy way out would be to diamond drill a hole in the bottom and push it out with a rod, but I feel that would be cheating. Any ideas are appreciated - Thanks in advance. Included is a pic of another item purchased for one dollar as was the vase, not sure what it's off of, I'm guessing an old transistor radio, given the crystal motif at the bottom and the two lightning strikes beside the S. Anyone have any ideas?
WP_20180522_17_21_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20180522_17_31_24_Pro.jpg

Heh, quite a problem. Hmm, don't fill it full yet. Try to shake it like there is no tomorrow and the water hammer effect might pop it out.

Then one one solution could be to use suitable stick/rod, dip it on wonderglue and then attach it to the marble. Just don't glue the marble into the vase

Wonderglue, even dried one dissolves to acetone so no need to worry about possible mess.

Then you could always slowly heat and boil the water in the vase to build up some pressure. Probably not needed to mention that this is bit risky and could lead into millions of flying glass shrapnells

And finally one more. Remove the water. Put the vase upside down and give it multiple heating and cooling cycles. The heat expansion could free up the marble.

Last edited:
We all know the solution for just saving the marble, Stan.

Use the old grade school volcano science project trick. Pour some baking soda down the neck and past the marble into the vase. You will need a couple Ounces for sure. Then add vinegar. The resulting reaction between the two will push your marble out

Glass is a poor conductor of heat, so drain the water, then with the vase upside down, heat the the area around the marble with a propane torch. The vase glass should expand enough to allow the marble to drop out. Don't take too long to heat it, you don't want to allow much of the heat to transfer to the marble.

Fill the vase until the bowl and neck are full. Then, cut your flower stems shorter and use the neck as the "vase".

Second pic looks like it could be the cover to a vintage phonograph sound box or reproducer that used steel needles instead of a diamond stylus. The "S" reminds me of the Sonora brand name.

I'd turn it upside down and leave it in the hot sun. That would be without any water in it though.

The problem is you don't want to heat it or cool it too fast.

While the marble will expand too, the vase neck will probably expand just a bit more. If the sun doesn't work, try a hair dryer or heat gun. I'd be careful with the heat gun though.

Don't freeze water in it -- the same pressure that you are expecting to lift the marble will expand in the bowl and crack it.

I like @Big_John 's idea about leaving it in the sun...heat + gravity...

I'm surprised that no one here has yet suggested to replace that water with gasoline, and thereby creating a mini combustion chamber, which, assuming you get the right A/F ratio, will launch the marble out the top when you throw a match in there.

This might be eligible for a gov't grant for R&D of spherical extracion from a sand fused liquid conveyance devise. Could reap millions of dollars and get a book and movie deal outta the results.....

Liquid soap diluted would be a better idea than just water & maybe the best. Then turn it up side down and let it drain. Repeat if you have to. Eventually it will come out.

I'm not sure if this method will work, but I had a co2 cartridge stuck in the tube of my crossman airgun. I got a dowel rod and put small gob of some hot melt glue on the end and then stuck it down the tube and on the end of the cartridge. Let it cool and give it pull. I'm not sure tho how it will stick to the glass marble, you could try it on an extra marble and see if it will stick.
I've heard people say that I don't have all my marbles...

Back