Master Cylinder ID

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for help ID this master cylinder, application WAS 1968 Chrysler NewYorker Budd Disc Brakes, from the patina, its been on the car for ages

DSC06426.JPG

DSC06906.JPG

That's an old aftermarket unit Mike. Dead giveaway is the rounded rear, originals Bendix M/C's were squared off at rear & rounded in front. The lids don't interchange. Like most stuff the older aftermarket were made in USA & newer in China, some can be of suspect quality.

I had my original sleeved with no issues. There's a couple of good places that do that. Rebuild kits can be hard to find, I've hoarded some when they pop up.

Here's a few pics of the originals-
master cyl 3.jpg
master cyl 6.jpg
NOS MC 2881870 1a.jpg

John, Thank-you. There shouldn't be any reason NOT to have this unit rebuilt? correct?

John, Thank-you. There shouldn't be any reason NOT to have this unit rebuilt? correct?
If the bore cleans up well with a hone you could rebuild it with a kit. NOS rebuild kits are pricey but aftermarket kits usually run about $30 if you can find them. If it needs a sleeve then I'd find an original Bendix casting because that runs more than $100. Somewhere in my files I have part #s for various obsolete rebuild kits & MCs if you want. Also think I have an old aftermarket USA casting you can have for shipping cost if you're interested- it failed due to a scratch in the bore & would need honed. Easiest route would be to buy whatever aftermarket replacement you can find & cross your fingers that it works.

Your car looked sharp from the car show pics! Loved your white NYer but the triple black & TNT is just cool. Can't be more than a handful ever made like that. Must be an excellent driver.

Thanks John, I think I'll try the centric and see how I fair. My car does drive ok, the front-end needs a complete rebuild and the mufflers, although Walker, are too loud for me, sounds like a 68 Coronet R/T LOL

thumbnail (1).jpg

DSC06646.JPG

DSC06634.JPG

Thanks John, I think I'll try the centric and see how I fair. My car does drive ok, the front-end needs a complete rebuild and the mufflers, although Walker, are too loud for me, sounds like a 68 Coronet R/T LOL

View attachment 541077

View attachment 541081

View attachment 541085
Looking good! Those pipes forward of the mufflers are originals, the underbody looks solid!

Been driving this one last couple weeks, been hot with no AC but car is a joy to drive. I rebuilt the suspension with a few select upgrades & the handling improved dramatically, like a totally different car.

IMG_0622 temp.JPG

That's an old aftermarket unit Mike. Dead giveaway is the rounded rear, originals Bendix M/C's were squared off at rear & rounded in front. The lids don't interchange. Like most stuff the older aftermarket were made in USA & newer in China, some can be of suspect quality.

I had my original sleeved with no issues. There's a couple of good places that do that. Rebuild kits can be hard to find, I've hoarded some when they pop up.

Here's a few pics of the originals-
View attachment 540933View attachment 540934View attachment 540935

This guy is correct….it is a copy of the 2226821 left port bendix used 67 thru 70 b bodies on 440 cars….often confused with the “hemi” 2225621 right ports used with 426
No one knows why 2. Different configuration were done.I never dreamed the 6821 would be more than 5621. The 6821 are more rare than 5621.. cause 5621 was used very late 69 and 70 c body. They are needed for expensive rare 440 mopars and wing cars..
the cylinder is not worth rebuilding…value 5.00
The very nice examples he has 2226811 was used 67,68…
If u notice is has same 1.25 bore ..but has very short stroke…notice the 6811 has no neck… flange touch rear .
Has shortest stroke of all and least fluid flow…all , all …other master have neck between flange and first chamber.
This is why it was deleted late 68… with few exceptions.
The black hemi master cylibers that I developed 2011..12
Have flooded the interweb..is the best bang for the buck.period…..correct lid also. All of these are imported by one co…..these landed Christmas Eve 2012…..all factory brake lines can go left or right port…flexible and have coil close to cylinder for this purpose.brake line were same part #

Back