Max wedge vs HP manifolds vs Headers Test!!

View attachment 464394

View attachment 464395
Pretty cool looking. Are 63 and 64 max wedge manifolds the same?
What are the ports for? To heat up max wedge long Ram intake manifolds?

The 300J was a 2x4bbl cross-ram intake vehicle. It needed those ports on the exhaust manifolds for the plenum heat for each of the 4bbl carbs (one on each side of the motor). These were NOT the Max Wedge drag racing engines.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

what would happen with same porting on HPs?

Allow larger exhaust pipes?
No room for bigger exhaust near the manifold and your getting away from packaging which is the only good thing about manifolds. So I would say, not much to gain, it cost very little to smooth out any bumps and weird turns so go for it.
Care to consider the older Max Wedge cast iron exhaust manifolds of the 413s and 426s? Or the Ford 390HP or 427 cast iron exhaust manifolds compared to their stock log manifolds?

What comes out the end of the manifold is not a homogenous flow, but has pressure spikes, positive and negative. The key might well be how these positive spikes interface with the negative spikes of when the exhaust valve is open during the "overlap" phase of each cylinder's valve timing?

In my orientation of things, the HP manifolds are an improvement over the log-style manifolds. How much might be open for discussion, though. Size does matter. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had them for all of these years. Marketing didn't have anything to do with the Max Wedge-like pre-cursor to the HP manifolds, as they were used on drag race cars first. AND there is something of an un-optimized engine dyno test of headers, HPs, and their pre-cursor cast iron manifolds at Nick's Garage. Neither of the manifold pairs, to me, worked as well as they might of in a better-optimized situation.

Granted, some hot rod parts were designed by sight rather than actual flow bench (which didn't exist back then as they did in the 1980s and later) flow numbers and related dynamics.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Max wedge manifolds are a different breed (basically a cast iron header). Ford and whatever are just also rans or transportation so who cares. The pulses is the problem, they go into the common area and are allowed to bang into the exhaust valves for other cylinders, the 5,7 sequence being the worst. Number 5 exhaust and while it is still hot and fumbling around in the manifold here comes number 7 immediately after, 1,3,2, and 8 have the best situations.
Mark Worman talks too much, like a salesman. Needs to stick to paint and chalk marks.

The final word on this and I don't agree by Mark Worman at 21:50 of this video.
Just wanted to add to the Kaos!!!:):):)

Oh he's putting up full episodes now on boobTube, guess the DVD's sales aren't doing so well or he finally figured out he can make more off the tube.

he is dead wrong about headers, makes me wonder what else he is wrong about.
He's a salesman, just keeps talking, no need to listen, or actually say anything.
He is good at what he does. He preserves cars and gives them a new life. If you pay attention to the show he has no problem answering questions of how to put the car back to original. The build cars he gets lost in, with no blueprint. In other words, he has no opinions on how to do it better. Everything he has stuffed a Gen3 hemi in for FCA I'm sure has defined parameters. He admits he is not into aftermarket.

thinking about using the HP manifolds on my newport, only reason is looking at the log vs HP is the HP have a wider opening where the exhaust pipe bolt to the manifold and being able to run a 2.5 pipe and not 2.25. any thoughts on that ?

Back