McBride's wrecking crushing Sept 1

barnfind

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
McBride Auto Wrecking
410 S Center St
Grantsville , UT 84029
(435) 884-6183

Been around since 1933, city pushed to scrap em for developers, never been there, real shame.

20727960_804299056413189_4120092952321281397_n.jpg
20664446_804299716413123_5658603713498555655_n.jpg

That sucking sound just keeps getting louder.

Crap... there goes another... it's not going to get any easier to find old parts in the future.

Pushed by developers? The local government? Or the land value and the dollar?
At least one of those, I would bet on nobody wanting to take over from an ageing owner as a factor too.

That's why I questioned it. The land value and a retirement plan is the likely culprit. Builders get a nice tax break on land " redevelopment "

I'm glad Virgil will be my last project. parts are going away fast and services are already over most budgets.

One take away from your comment could be that in the future complete cars will be worth more while incomplete and project cars worth little or next to nothing if no repop market.

Well you still have the yard up in Williams CA. No development pressure up there whatsoever and not likely ever. If the owner sold out I don't know to who since the slow economy there is basically farming rice.

It appears he has already sold off 2/3rds his property, the article mentions he can move what he can to an old airport that he owns.
The only airport that I could find is the property just south of that one. The old airport property once took up 3 times the property he was using for the wrecking yard. The only reference to the airport I could find was a 1955 topo, the 1962 map didn't show it. Who knows how much of that property he now owns.

Alan

Damn shame more people aren’t interested in the hobby like us.. Damn shame. Even if the old girls were used as yard art or man cave wall art! Something other than the crusher..

From the article Barnfind linked.
Owner's reason for leaving

“The regulations. My property taxes have quadrupled… and they want me to put a million dollar liability insurance to stay, just in case one of the new neighbor kids comes over and gets hurt… that’ll kill ya,” McBride said.

I think lawyers and bureaucrats are ruining the USA.

From the article Barnfind linked.
Owner's reason for leaving

“The regulations. My property taxes have quadrupled… and they want me to put a million dollar liability insurance to stay, just in case one of the new neighbor kids comes over and gets hurt… that’ll kill ya,” McBride said.

I think lawyers and bureaucrats are ruining the USA.

For 60 years

When I read about things happening like this, it makes me wonder whether or not we really own our own land. If a company with enough political pull wants something,
(insert cause here) enough red tape can be thrown to gain whatever the objective is. The land was in his family since the 30s, comply (pay), fight (pay), or get out. Capitalism or tyranny?

Last edited:
It's probably unwise for me to wade into this, but I want to point out a few things...

1) I didn't read anything in that article about a re-zoning; although given what passes for journalism today, who knows? Having been involved with some re-zones, existing businesses are generally allowed to continue until a land sale takes place, and if the zoning decreases the value, owners may be made "whole". However, most times the property value increases. Few cities are going to cut their taxable land value on purpose.

2) If he began parceling off surrounding property, he started some of this rolling himself.

3) "they" want me to... Who is "they"? The municipality has no interest here. Someone may have given him wise council, but as I was told many times as a child "People in Hell want ice water." And for reference, when one of my rentals had a pool, I required tenants to carry a million-dollar liabilty policy. The cost was just over $100 per year.

4) Many states, including MI have laws that limit property tax increases to 5% or the Federal rate of inflation, whichever is less. I don't know about Utah. I can tell you that my (due to the crash of '08) city won't see 2007 revenues until (projected) 2027, although values have recovered and then some. If Utah doesn't have similar protections, than its sucks to be on a fixed income I suppose.... that's why the law exists.

5) In essence this story (and the sale) is more interesting and generates more publicity if it's sympathetic.

I'll put the flame suit on now.

Back