Meet Regina FQ3, a 1970 Polara convertible who turns 51 today

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you -- but Regina has the B51 power drum brakes, not the B41 power disc brakes. So it is a drum brake that I needed, and that is what I ordered.

I have been happy with the Raybestos brake pads and the disc brake MC that I bought three years ago. But my experience is a single data point, what has yours been?

OK, thanks. I am more familiar with the 1971 models and I believe disc brakes were standard on that year at least but I might be wrong. My experience with Raybestos was they listed a rotor available for one of the disc brake models and when it was received it was made by Centric, not a Raybestos 2 piece assembly as original. But I was actually happier with the one piece part anyway.

What threw me off is that I do not recall ever seeing a drum brake master cylinder on an original Chrysler product with a bail on it - only a bail on disc brake ones. The drum brake cars did have a top on it like you show but it was held down with a kind of V shaped bracket with a bolt, not a bail - but then I have only had a couple drum brake cars.

Last edited:

ayilar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. (...) What threw me off is that I do not recall ever seeing a drum brake master cylinder on an original Chrysler product with a bail on it - only a bail on disc brake ones. The drum brake cars did have a top on it like you show but it was held down with a kind of V shaped bracket with a bolt, not a bail - but then I have only had a couple drum brake cars.

Thank you, the matter of what the original MC for power drum brake cars looks like has been bugging me for a while and indeed I started a thread, that got a number of contributions, here:

The conclusion I have formed is that, for drum cars, bail-wire master cylinders may be aftermarket pieces from a long time ago.

JohnNOLA

Reaction score
Thank you -- but Regina has the B51 power drum brakes, not the B41 power disc brakes. So it is a drum brake that I needed, and that is what I ordered.

I have been happy with the Raybestos brake pads and the disc brake MC that I bought three years ago. But my experience is a single data point, what has yours been?

Probably also a single data point.

HWYCRZR

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I few years ago I bought and returned a few master cylinders (drum brake) until I finally found a match to the original with the V shape hold down. The pictures were always the correct one, but what showed up was what you pictured above.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Raybestos MC36221 booster that I bought was made in China, and looks like the generic replacement booster that we have seen on many cars -- here is a photo from the Summit site. I guess I can't win every time...

View attachment 523407
I had one of those on my Barracuda and it drove me nuts every time I opened the hood. I had an issue that seemed like it was the MC (turned out to be a wheel cylinder) and I bought a repop like this one off eBay. 1960's Mopar Bendix Master Cylinder DRUM Brakes 1" Bore Dodge Plymouth Chrysler | eBay

Yep, made in China etc., but it's been on the car a few years now with no problem.

Every once in a while, there will be a new "correct" cover that will pop up on eBay, usually not much less than the cost of a new MC. If it bothers you too much, you could buy aa repop, swap lids and toss the new one on the shelf for use another time.

ayilar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
One thing that Regina needed is work on her alternator. That is now done.

I'd posted here a photo before restoration showing the part of the casting with the original part # (3438201) and the stamp of the 1969 build date. Here is another taken by @71Polara383 after the work done by Forrest City Auto Electric.

Resized_Resized_20220506_151433.jpg

Last edited: