Metal gold cad look.

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a jukebox I am restoring, and looking to reproduce the look of the gold clad I have seen on some automotive parts too. Any suggestions? I see Eastwood has a 3 step aerosol top coat process, using a gold base and then highlight with a green and red tint. Anyone recommend this?

This is one of the pieces I want to paint.

20210217_152358.jpg

Last edited:
I have never heard a bad word about Eastwood products. I have purchased some of their paints in the past and haven't been disappointed. I feel safe to say use with confidence even though I haven't done what you're doing. Good Luck

No suggestions, other than to caution against ending up with that horrible iridescent gold-green that we've all seen on more than a few master cylinder covers.

And that jukebox resto sounds like great fun. Maybe keep us posted with some pics to this thread, please?

I have had really good luck with their products too, thinking it might be my best bet.

Maybe mist coats on the base and tints rather than "wet" coats?

And that jukebox resto sounds like great fun. Maybe keep us posted with some pics to this thread, please?

Thanks here is a before picture. If you look at closely it is filthy. I'm going through and cleaning everything and a partial tear down first and then work on restorating the parts which would should be finished, before putting it back together. Then I will through mechanism, get it working correctly.

20210124_134448.jpg

I'm going through and cleaning everything and a partial tear down first and then work on restorating the parts which would make sense before putting it back together. Then I will work on the mechanism, to get it working correctly.

I love that sort of stuff. :thumbsup:

I have a jukebox I am restoring, and looking to reproduce the look of the gold clad I have seen on some automotive parts too. Any suggestions? I see Eastwood has a 3 step aerosol top coat process, using a gold base and then highlight with a green and red tint. Anyone recommend this?

View attachment 439651

The coating looks in decent shape, and appears like it could easily be cleaned up with some very fine steel wool and WD-40 or other lubricant/solvent. The zinc dichromate / golden cad finish is fragile though, so can't be too aggressive. On regular cad or zinc plated parts I like to use CLR and steel wool to remove oxidation. Not on chromated parts though.

Otherwise, Caswell has plating kits as mentioned above. For this you'd use the "copycad / zinc" plating kit followed by a dip in yellow chromate bath.

Last edited:

View attachment 439651

The Eastwood kit works well if you are patient and follow the directions.

That looks really good Ross. Did you just use red and green paint as opposed to a tint? Eastwood wants $50 plus shipping for their kit.

Yup. It's just paint. To actually cad plate something it must be entirely disassembled, and the parts must be pristinely clean for the plating to take properly. I was not going to disassemble my perfectly good wiper motor, so I just did a cosmetic cleanup. The car will rarely, if ever, see rain, hence no need to restore it, as it likely still has years of life left in it.

So, a cosmetic cleanup and cad simulation, done with simple spray bombs was my choice.

Last edited:
I have used the Eastwood 3 paint. I did some experimenting to get the right colors. Go easy on the red and green, and you May find a light mist of the gold again as a final coat can help mute the green and red but still leave some iridescence. I did my wiper arms with it.
depending on the part a little bit of silver Cad mixed in gives even more depth.
A3D3AB60-E722-4603-9BEA-6F70620DD139.jpeg
1020B3CF-4FE9-486C-A12D-9585B7B78E36.jpeg

The Eastwood kit is expensive for what it is: One medium size can of gold lacquer paint, and two small cans of transparent lacquer tints in red and green. You might want to check to see what you can find at a Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts to see if there's a cheaper alternative.

Jeff

I have used the Eastwood 3 paint. I did some experimenting to get the right colors. Go easy on the red and green, and you May find a light mist of the gold again as a final coat can help mute the green and red but still leave some iridescence. I did my wiper arms with it.
depending on the part a little bit of silver Cad mixed in gives even more depth.
View attachment 439724 View attachment 439725

Very nice

What sequence and how much of each?

The coating looks in decent shape, and appears like it could easily be cleaned up with some very fine steel wool and WD-40 or other lubricant/solvent. The zinc dichromate / golden cad finish is fragile though, so can't be too aggressive. On regular cad or zinc plated parts I like to use CLR and steel wool to remove oxidation. Not on chromated parts though.

Otherwise, Caswell has plating kits as mentioned above. For this you'd use the "copycad / zinc" plating kit followed by a dip in yellow chromate bath.

That was great. I want to cut holes in a table now and get a kit.

Probably a lot less than $1K for a wiper motor.

Thanks here is a before picture. If you look at closely it is filthy. I'm going through and cleaning everything and a partial tear down first and then work on restorating the parts which would should be finished, before putting it back together. Then I will through mechanism, get it working correctly.

View attachment 439673

Looking forward to updates

Back