Might be a doozy.

Zakkowal

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted the poor man's gasser stance by extending the upper ball joint (spacer) to give my 66 newport the gasser look.

First thing that comes to mind with that method is “unsafe at any speed”.

The real "gasser stance" comes with a straighrt axle and leaf spring up front. I remember those C-shaped adapters from back in the later '60s. I guess they worked but they also disappeared before about 1970, IIRC.

Much better to use lowering blocks at the rear axle to lower the rear of the car, for that "drag racer stance" of the later '50s and earlier '60s. BUT with the length of the rear sheet metal, you'd be dragging the rear end at every drive-in approach. If people in here don't like air shocks (and apparently where they put stress on the body), they really might not like "wheelis bars/wheels on the back of the back bumper, I suspect.

With the front end of the car that high, highway stability can be negatively impacted. Too much air getting under the car.

If you like that look, find a model car and build it that way.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I dont think a spacer would lift the car.
It's the lower control arm and torsion bar that would lift.
You can screw the torsion bar adjusting bolt all the way in and get the front up quite a bit. Or get heavier bars and maybe lift a little more.
In my opinion it's not a fantastic idea. At the very least an alignment should be done.
And a second alignment when the car gets lowered back down.

Thanks for all the input. The vehicle is more of a looker and not really a speed demon for the road. Ironically the rear axle has the leaf spring brackets on top with 12 leaf springs. In other words. The old fashion jacked up rear-end is quite the show stopper. A tad bit stiff and when I look in the rear view mirror, I am pretty much looking up at the sky. The 66 is mostly built for a show stopper, not a daily driver. It is scary looking but I love it.

Thanks for all the input. The vehicle is more of a looker and not really a speed demon for the road. Ironically the rear axle has the leaf spring brackets on top with 12 leaf springs. In other words. The old fashion jacked up rear-end is quite the show stopper. A tad bit stiff and when I look in the rear view mirror, I am pretty much looking up at the sky. The 66 is mostly built for a show stopper, not a daily driver. It is scary looking but I love it.

66 Newport....? Gasser.....? Show stopper?..... Somebody is in fantasy land.:realcrazy::BangHead::rolleyes:

Move along, nothing to see here....!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. My parents bought me a 66 chrysler newport when I was 16. And ever since, I have accumulated 7 more. Ranging from original, custom, gasser ( in progress) and a finished 4 door chop top that took me 8 years to finish. I was not aware that I would be reprimanded and labeled. "Living in dreamland". I enjoy my work and my skills I have dedicated to my favorite mopar. I bet that the picts I post will have responses as to "why, that's too dangerous, and quit living a daydream and assemble model kits. Mmmm. Oh well, enjoy my work I have done in the one of my pictures. Thanks again.View attachment 499
img_2_1638222241507.jpg
img_1_1638222093473.jpg
731[/ATTACH]
img_2_1638222241507.jpg
img_2_1638222241507.jpg
img_3_1638222296867.jpg
img_2_1638222241507.jpg

Keep living in fantasyland, we can't all be purists. Some people just love cars to remain stock, even if the car isn't theirs.

I jacked the rear of my '68 Polara once in high school to get some rake. I added some "helper" springs. It was like driving a pig with two sticks. It really liked to wander and wallow down the road. I tried to re- align, but the caster does not adjust that far. After a couple of months, I brought it back down close to stock level so I could drive it without crossing the center line. This is how it remains today about 36 years later. Drives like a dream.

There are some definite “purists” on this site, but I have found over my few years here now, most every one has sound advice when asking technical questions about many thinks on these cars. When you restoration starts to turn to modification, then there starts to be more opinions…. But sometimes there is even some advice buried in those opinions so it is worth it.

at the end of the day, it is your car so definitely follow your own path. (Unless you’re going to demo derby it, that even upsets me :mad:)

good luck on you build.

why dont you air bag it. drive at normal ride height for safety reasons then **** with the bags to get your jollies.

Ignore the haters, i to am building a 67 FURY VIP fast top into a gasser, i bought the speedway straight axle kit for the front and just a set of air shocks in the rear, now im still only fabbing at the moment but it will be mini tubbed to tuck at least a 12" rear tire inside the quarters and parallel leaf springs up front with the straight axle. I kinda wanted to keep the 60s theme alive even though its a C body you never see them built into anything but a driver so and plus i absolutely love the fast top c bodies mine will be a 426ci small block with a 4 speed and tunnel ram of course gutted interior and aluminum sheeting with all windows tinted going back to the original tanish yellow paint (if i ever get that far) and I'm not to far from you being over in Ellsworth Wisconsin so if you have any more newports for sale parts cars i wanna do a sedan next

Last edited:
Back