might have bit off a bit more than i can chew

dmac01

Reaction score
I knew there was a hole in the rear driver floorboard as some prior owner fiberglassed a patch in...however after removing the patch to see how bad, this is what it looks like:
upload_2017-12-4_10-19-57.png

I am not confident of building a patch that includes correctly positioning the parking brake cable bracket. Think i need to find a shop to fix this...anyone had a similar experience and how much did it cost?

Thanks,
Dave

XDO39_h3nMm_imlJEqS0JluChM1Cv-061aSsUycuAP8HIW7APKEUGXmXJfa3mz5MbosEylVEKLHbjGBJA=w2313-h1312-no.jpg

ZdGlr2hezDiKv3kLog5DTVI0VCilFXuQbGahAFVWwIR-IXGgBSDq7vULRjPFFyQGXa4z_JFvoAK0xzAKI=w2331-h1311-no.jpg

iCtFOXifeFbcUycKdyPxas-08tAHpYTvY7sk7XO31K5aDKf4uWdMWwZeuWqRcADgSoKOu-Kn7s-Od95Ek=w2313-h1312-no.jpg

Here was my attempt on my car. This was before I had any knowledge on welding or fab work. (I was using a horror fright mig). I was proud of it at the time, and it was the best I could do at 14 years old.
With some more time put in and some effort in learning how to weld, you should be able to patch that no problem.
Eventually, I will be putting an entire new floor (I have set aside) in this car.

And even if you want the clamp in the same place, it's not too hard. Before cutting anything, just measure where it is at the moment. Since there's a "hole" on the top side of it, mark the spot 3" directly above (or however far away a nice clean piece of metal is) with a marker. Then, after you weld in your new piece of metal, you reposition the clamp where it was.

I'd try and source a piece of floor board from a similar make or model before I'd weld in flat metal there, just so you have a little bit better stability and doesn't end up sounding like a drum from vibration. If not possible, flat metal should be fine as it's not too big of a piece.

I'd try and source a piece of floor board from a similar make or model before I'd weld in flat metal there, just so you have a little bit better stability and doesn't end up sounding like a drum from vibration.
And, if you do find a piece of floor, chances are it will have the guide already in place.

That is a good job for 14. I had no idea how to do any of this at 14.

One thing I've learned is that I like to always grind down my welds. You never know when you're missed a spot or there's an air pocket in a weld that can let in moisture, etc. Especially on something like a floor where water can obviously seep in.

thanks for the info, looking at @The Horvaths work, which is damned nice, i think i can replicate that type of patch. Given this is certainly not a show car, i am going to give it a try. It was the parking brake guide bracket and the curve of the floorboard that threw me off. I will just weld in rectangles of metal over the bad spots...and will measure to weld in the bracket close to it's original spot! My harbor freight $89 wire welder is gonna get some exercise. I am certainly no expert welder, not even close.

I will post pics as the fix goes in...but since I only have 1 day a week to work on it, might be a few weeks before done...that and it's starting to get cold here in the denver area. Not a big fan of working in an un-heated garage LOL. i know, no whining!

thanks for the info!

Dave

And, if you do find a piece of floor, chances are it will have the guide already in place.

Since most of the area is still intact, your best bet might be to find a foot well out of a donor car and cut a section from it sized to the area you need to patch. Before doing any welding, clean off as much of the undercoating as you can from the areas that are to be welded, that stuff can and does catch fire. After the welding is done, be sure to coat the welded seams with Rustoleum or some other rust resistant paint and then re-apply undercoating to the areas that had it. This will help you patch job to "last". If you have access to a wire feed welder, that is usually a good choice for this type of work.

Dave

Good work Dylan!

Do I have the name right? I hope so.

I started in the Automotive world young too. Welding was pretty easy.
bodywork and paint skills still eludes me at 62. LOL

@The Horvaths, that's damn good work for a 14 year-old, you should still be proud of that.
It's not horrid, but not great either. Poor fitment towards the rear and poor welds (make sure you prep your metal well when you go to make a patch panel!) are what make me not like it.
Good work Dylan!

Do I have the name right? I hope so.

I started in the Automotive world young too. Welding was pretty easy.
bodywork and paint skills still eludes me at 62. LOL
Thanks Bob. I have gotten fair at welding. My best form is Oxy-Aluminum (weird, I know). I'm trying my hand at GTAW welding now.

Sorry to hijack your thread, dmac.

Sorry to hijack your thread, dmac.
no worries, interesting to see how you progressed.

also thanks Davea on the tip to remove undercoating...would not be helpful to burn up the project before it's time! LOL.

gonna cut out the bad parts this weekend and try to fabricate patches. I do have part of a floorboard that is advertised as a fit but not quite...the curved part leading up to the driver seat mounting area is not the right angle. I'll see if i can bend it into fitting.

more fun ahead!

good thinking on the weld thru primer...I didn't know it existed...thanks!

Lay a piece of paper on the trunk floor and mark where the holes are. Those will be your "landmarks". Then mark the spot where the bracket is mounted. This will be a template for mounting the bracket to the patch.

FWIW, you can make a pretty bulletproof patch with fiberglass cloth and POR-15 paint. Paint the area with POR-15 and while it's still wet, lay a piece of fiberglass cloth over it. Paint more POR-15 on top and work it into the cloth. Another layer of cloth and more POR-15. The POR-15 replaces the resin normally used.

While that isn't a replacement for cutting and welding in replacement metal, it is a decent, long lasting repair for a smaller area and it's something that you can do yourself.

You could also do that as a temporary fix until you find a good replacement.

Back