Mini Starter from 440 Source

I would recommend Mancini Racing and ask for a Denso. This is the starter used on the newer generations of Dodge trucks, vans etc.

I have had really good customer service with Mancini, and far the opposite from 440 Source.

I would recommend Mancini Racing and ask for a Denso. This is the starter used on the newer generations of Dodge trucks, vans etc.

I have had really good customer service with Mancini, and far the opposite from 440 Source.
The exact same ones from Mancini (~130 bucks) are on ebay for 75 - 85 bucks.
AMHIK

Cool, good to know, as I will be needing one for the '67 New Yorker sometime in the near future.

I also need another explosion resistant one. Have you seen a marine version of the Denso for a Mopar? It does not need the typical Mopar nose. Preferably not $300 like the one I found, and I don't know if it is a Denso or a knock off.

Does anyone know what changes are done to a marine starter?

5248-1-wm.jpg

Last edited:
I have more potential problems than just a leaky fuel line. It's a hole in the water that you throw your money into.

I'm taking great lengths to make the power plant much more dependable though, by removing the 350 Chevrolet and making my own adapter plates for the bell housing and the exhaust risers, and making custom brackets, plumbing, motor mounts etc, so I can replace it with a 360 roller cam engine.

2009 Aug.jpg

I use the Magnum engine "mini-starter" on all my old Mopars from slant to BB, ~$15 at junkyard. I know nothing about marine versions.

If you're taking it in salt water you'll be fine with all of the recommendations on this thread.

Marine engine components are designed to be spark arrested, i.e., starters, alternators, carbs, etc. Thermostats and water pumps use different materials because the salt water corrodes and is very destructive to metal and seals. Marine thermostarts are made out of brass, water pumps are aluminum, carbs have special spark arrestors to prevent fires, brass parts instead of steel, etc. Being near the ocean, I see a lot of guys buy automotive application parts, usually less than half of the cost of marine parts. A couple of times every summer you see boats that completely burn up on the water. Also see a number of boats being towed back to shore because of automotive parts failing.

Marine engine components are designed to be spark arrested, i.e., starters, alternators, carbs, etc. Thermostats and water pumps use different materials because the salt water corrodes and is very destructive to metal and seals. Marine thermostarts are made out of brass, water pumps are aluminum, carbs have special spark arrestors to prevent fires, brass parts instead of steel, etc. Being near the ocean, I see a lot of guys buy automotive application parts, usually less than half of the cost of marine parts. A couple of times every summer you see boats that completely burn up on the water. Also see a number of boats being towed back to shore because of automotive parts failing.

Anything used in salt water should be a closed cooling system with the salt water being run through the heat exchanger and the exhaust risers only, and the exhaust risers are only good for 3-4 years.

I just bought a stainless K&N spark arrestor for my project for about $135. I am installing fittings for vacuum lines in a Chrysler Denso starter that will tee and run up to the air cleaner like the vent on the fuel pump.

Back